A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: New site --> www.karn.nu

All the good ones were taken JR_Ewing's Avatar

New site --> www.karn.nu

Hi, I've just redone my site and thought I'd see what you think.

www.karn.nu

Comments are welcome.

Hi

My first thoughts are that it is very dull and I would think that you could showcase your work a little better than you have

It does not seem as though you have put too much effort into your site and think that your work will do the work for you

I am not sure that its that simple

LJD

I don't know LJD. You're right, the navigation of the site is a bit ho hum. But the work was definitely compelling enough for me to click through the entire site (Nice work JR!)

I would say for someone such as JR, who is not of an interactive nature, I would rather see a simple site where I can see his illustrations quickly and easily, as opposed to him trying too hard in Flash, and making a clunky site that I would loathe to click through.

JR stuck to his strengths, and I think it works

Ryan

Hi

It depends what you think web sites like this are for. I think that are an advertisemnt for your skills and work.
    The people that write the adverts for ,say cola, don't take the attitude that "its Ok if the advert is bad the product is good" they know that the two are linked

I think if you are going to do a web site then that must be equally as good as the work you are advertising and this site isn't

LJD

i agree with Phactorized, at first i thought it lacked in dynamicy, but the work does speak for itself, i might suggest a little sound here and there and bit of tweaking on the preloaders.

tell me, is this sellable..... OddDog's Avatar
    i totally disagree with ljd.

i think your site is great and acts as a great showcase for your illustracions.

some transition effects from one illu to another may work.

Well, I agree with you on some level ljd. But Cola could never be appreciated over the internet. It is something to be tasted, smelled and injested. Illustrations, however, can be appreciated in full on the web. Think of an art gallery a place usually of barren white walls. Nothing flashy is saying "Look at this painting on the wall!" The painting speaks for itself.

While I agree lots of websites are adverts, and need to be treated as such, there are also sites which are galleries, and should be appreciated as such.

Ryan

Hi

If I hung the Mona Lisa in my shed it would not do it justice When you see it in the Louvre then the majesty of it is revealed in a fitting setting

We are here to review web sites not the work in the web site and this web site is not very good

LJD

The website is good, because it is not a shed. If the site was bulky, and unsightly, then it would be a poor website, and would not do his illustrations any favors. The site itself (*I feel*), while by no means "amazing," does his work justice.

I don't think we should be reviewing the site only, but also the experience we have at the site. We should also have an understanding of what the author is trying to do. You were right before, this site wouldn't work for a cola. But it should be understand that there are many different types of sites out there, and they should be reviewed as such.

(On a off-topic side note, I think alot of people would argue that the Mona Lisa would be amazing regardless of the settting.)

Ryan

your images are awesome!
    "Touché!"

sux the resolution is to high cant fix to the browser.

sux

tell me, is this sellable..... OddDog's Avatar
    as i understand it this web site has a single role

to show the illustracions and not the flash magic of the web programer.

as such i think this is a great site adn dioes its job correctly.

All the good ones were taken JR_Ewing's Avatar
    Thank you all for all the replies, interresting discussion.

I can see ljd's point of things being enhanced by its surrounding. But in this case the site is designed to show my portfolio (as pointed out by Phactorized and others) and nothing else. As an animator it's realy hard not to do everything realy flashy. But I don't want possible employers to have to sit through that, it would be wasting their time.

Maby transition effects or sound would work but I want to keep the filesize (loading time) as low as possible.

"(On a off-topic side note, I think alot of people would argue that the Mona Lisa would be amazing regardless of the settting.)"
    So true

I like it. Simple and wonderful. The art makes it worth it. Not every site has got to have the ability to cause epileptic seizures. Went through everything in site. Nice stuff.

Hi

next time you look at a good web site ask yourself what it is you like about it. I will guarantee it will not be the subject of the web site.
    Then look at this web site again and agree with me that he could have done better
    If he just wanted us to reveiw his work he should have said so. He asked us to review his web site.
    So if everyone just stays objective for a moment you will see that the web site is not very good.
    From his own comments it would appear that even he thinks its just OK

LJD

I feel like I'm starting to beat a dead horse so to speak. But...

There have been countless times I've thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated a site even though the "site design" is less the spectacular. I find slashdot.com a bit on the ugly side, and tough to navigate past the first page, but I still go to it everyday because its content is great. And any number of portfolio sites, especially photo sites, can be awesome if the work is great, and the site is easy to go through.

I don't think JR's site is spectacular. Nor should it be - he's not a web designer. But he was smart enough to make his site highlight his strengths (content), and minimize his weakness (flashy web). He simply made a site that was a pleasure to go through. An enjoyable web experience. Sure, any site could be better. But this one could be alot worse. I think the fact that he kept it simple, in my eyes makes it a good site.

And I don't think this is a case of objective vs subjective. I think its a case whether or not you can see past the fact that the navigation has been done a million times, and see that everything works as a whole, with the site accomplishing its goal 100%