dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for e-commerce flash sites.

looking for e-commerce flash sites.

Hello,

Does anybody have flash e-commerce sites that they would like to share. Especially if you have any Coldfusion Flash sites.

thanks in advance

"Search" is your friend.

RH

Use the Search function
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

duhh. Shoulda done that first.

thanks.

Any new ones, please post.

w w w . t h e o r y 7 . c o m nevil's Avatar
    my site is full flash ecommerce with flash realtime credit card processig

Although I haven't had the time to jazz up the graphics to make it as cool as Theory 7's site,
    my flash ecommerce gift site uses a shopping cart system that I made and integrates with PayPal to save $$$$ on payment gateways, SSL certificates, and merchant accounts.

Made it about a year ago so I'll probably be redesigning it soon.

- John

Great sites.

What did you guys use for the backend? ASP, PHP, Coldfusion?

thanks

Originally posted by fiuOY
    Great sites.

What did you guys use for the backend? ASP, PHP, Coldfusion?

thanks
    ASP/MSSQL plus for the products dual platforms PHP/MYSQL and ASP/MSSQL, plus other technologies including XML.

Originally posted by nevil
    ASP/MSSQL plus for the products dual platforms PHP/MYSQL and ASP/MSSQL, plus other technologies including XML.
    do you have any experience with coldfusion/flash? Is that combination any good?

thanks

hey nevil what was the purpose for using both asp and php on your site

Originally posted by fiuOY
    do you have any experience with coldfusion/flash? Is that combination any good?

thanks
    no havn't used coldfusion before.

Originally posted by drunknbass
    hey nevil what was the purpose for using both asp and php on your site
    for the actual site we don't use a combination of both, we currently use ASP/MSSQL, but the products for sale come preped for both platforms so that you can use for whichever is your current platform.

We are planning to convert the site to just PHP/MYSQL as it is free and is just as good as MSSQL.

Nevil: When you say "we" how many people actually work at Theory7? I always presumed it was a 1 man opperation.

Originally posted by absolutezero
    Nevil: When you say "we" how many people actually work at Theory7? I always presumed it was a 1 man opperation.
    Pretty much yes, but I don't do everything myself, backend work is done by 1 developer and 3D is created by 2 seperate 3d guys who I use when a project demands it.

Originally posted by jvanv8

my flash ecommerce gift site Made it about a year ago so I'll probably be redesigning it soon.

- John
    Why was that done in flash

I'd like to think that most people on Flash Kit are now beyond the "Why Flash?" question...

...so besides the obvious features that flash provides, I used flash to create a unique shopping atmosphere that isn't spoiled with HTML page reloads. I also wanted to use background sound and sound effects, a flexible cross-browser layout, object-oriented programming, animation effects for the products, and the ability for the user to dynamically create a custom wreath which would be impossible without the use of flash. The flash shopping cart also eliminates page reloading which can often hinder the user experience. In addition, the flash shopping cart proved to be many times faster than any html/php/asp/jsp/cfm/whatever shopping cart in terms of sheer load time. In the end, we just wanted a unique site that fit with our unique product line.

In response to the backend, "version 1" used php and textfiles, "version 2" uses php/MySql and a Flash admin to keep the data fresh. We also use php/nuSoap for SOAP webservice calls.

-John

Originally posted by nevil

We are planning to convert the site to just PHP/MYSQL as it is free and is just as good as MSSQL.

The "just as good" part was a joke, right?

MySQL is a toy database, good for quick and dirty websites, bad for anything that depends on ACID compliance or foreign key constraints.

Originally posted by random_fool
    The "just as good" part was a joke, right?

MySQL is a toy database, good for quick and dirty websites, bad for anything that depends on ACID compliance or foreign key constraints.
    Actually MySQL does have ACID complaince and enforces foreign key constraints if you create your tables using the innodb type rather than the default.

And as far as the database engine goes, MySQL out performs the competition with perhaps the exception of Oracle 9i. Don't believe me? Check out Server Databases Clash. Mysql is definitly no toy.
    John Harry

FK's Offical Avatar Hijaker Dr.Funk's Avatar

ecommerce/flash

A bit to heavy but might spark some ideas for the flash driven cart seeker. http://nikewomen.nike.com/nikewomen/...//www.nike.com

Off Topic: I couldnt help but notice the side discussion regarding ms sql and mySql. Calling mySQL a toy is a 'bit' overboard however as a developer i do not choose a database before the language which in turn will most often decide on a your db of choice.

ASP.NET is written using real object oriented programming languages such as C++, VB.NET or C#(my choice). These languages give you much more control and because they are compiled they will outperform/run faster than PHP(ready for flame). PHP is a scripting language which is arguably *cheaper and easy to learn. Most web designers eventually are faced with a data management problem and quickly jump to PHP for the vast amount of free information out there. This will also explain why PHP is more popular. Popular does not mean better. I believe one should declare themselves scripter or programmer before posting bias information (although its easy to tell the difference). Instead of one being better than the other it comes down to what style you are comfortable with, how fast you need a solution in relationship to how knowledgeable you are with scripting, programming and its relation to the actual framework.

*Using PHP/MySql has been rumored to be cheaper however I have proved that you can develop a ASP.NET application using C# for the same cost as using UltraEdit and an Ftp Client. Hosting has also become competitive. Although I use VS, Web Matix offers a more powerful solution than most/all of the PHP enviroments out there. This is an out-dated argument.
    'of course this land is dangerous; all of the animals are capably murderous.... na na NA NA na na NA NA na na' - Janes Addiction
    'if you want a friend feed any animal' - Janes Addiction

Even if there is only one, unique set of possible laws, it is only a set of equations. What is it that breathes fire into the equations, and makes a universe for them to govern. why does the universe bother to exist? Is the ultimate unified theory so compelling, that it brings about its own existence, or does it need a creator, and if so who created it? - credits SH

Re: ecommerce/flash

Originally posted by Dr.Funk
    ...This is an out-dated argument.
    Uh - this is an outdated thread. Thanks for "raising the dead" Dr. Funk.

RH
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

FK's Offical Avatar Hijaker Dr.Funk's Avatar

Forgive me

And exactlly when did all this become legacy or as you put it 'dead'? I have been using flash/asp.net/php/mysql/mssql/c# for the past 3 years.... Or has the world changed so much in the past few months that its no longer a valid topic?
    'of course this land is dangerous; all of the animals are capably murderous.... na na NA NA na na NA NA na na' - Janes Addiction
    'if you want a friend feed any animal' - Janes Addiction

Even if there is only one, unique set of possible laws, it is only a set of equations. What is it that breathes fire into the equations, and makes a universe for them to govern. why does the universe bother to exist? Is the ultimate unified theory so compelling, that it brings about its own existence, or does it need a creator, and if so who created it? - credits SH