A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Site Check Please www.karlbrazil.com

A Clever Cherrry Indeed

Site Check Please www.karlbrazil.com

Can people have a look @ www.karlbrazil.com and give comments please. Its a website for a drummer

The Broadband nav features real video so if yer on a dial up i'd choose the dial-up nav.

thanks

Hi

well I got a picture of the drummer and the word "please" and nothing else After 30 secs so I gave up

LJD

Either your server is really slow or your site is huge cuz it took forever to even start downloading. I like the splash page though.

The Excentrifugal Force SSC Cosmic's Avatar
    Hi Loaf,
    I experienced what felt like server lag this afternoon, and long d/l time on the mediocre dsl conn at my office. Tonight at home on cable the d/l time was acceptable.

Nice site, great concept! I would have liked to have seen some photos or something of visual interest on the left side, which is often times left blank or nearly so.

The pic in the orange shirt makes him look like a guy with a bad attitude, is that the vibe he wants to display to prospective employers and such? He just looks unlikeable there.

Typography wise, you could really use something more crisp for body and menu text. Submit to pixelfonts young jedi.

Nice work all around.

Cos
    if (you expect help){
    then.help(others);
    }else{
    gotoAndCheck.aSite4.somePoorBastardinSiteChex;
    }

I agree with Cos about the left side. Need more content, or a more focused display of what you have.

The black and white striped page background and the flash background are offset by a pixel - was that intentional? I also recommend the pixel fonts Cos mentioned. Get thee hence to www.minifonts.com and see what they've got.

Also - check to make sure that someone with a popup blocker can view the site at all....

I think the outline in the beginning that fills with his photo clipped onto the white background is very clever.

Well as far as the streaming video, i thought it was neat. nice touch.. the site was a wee bit too plain but still its not a bad job.. just could use some imporoving. As far as load time, i didn't experience any lag and the site loaded in about 30 secs.
    i love you..

~dl coming soon

latest work, my only flash work so far..
    http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...hreadid=538337

A Clever Cherrry Indeed
    Cheers for the comments guys lots to think about epec the typography.

The font i want is basically the one i am using, but i would like an pixel version of it, or something similar, any ideas anyone. Unfortunatly most of the ones i have been looking at are only a pixel wide and are too thin. So i could do with something a bit thicker

Any Ideas ????

Also will look at the content issue, maybe put some more graphics on it.

Cheers

Loaf

PS dunno about the server overload issue, it seems fine now tho

Mr Snowman
    A drinking village with a fishing problem
    The load time on this site is criminal. Also consider asking about bandwidth options and flash/non flash options on the same page, not have the viewer have to go through two pages to select choices. Your site makes the viewer work, not good.
    Life is just a bunch of swf's

A Clever Cherrry Indeed
    I agree that the load time is quite large, ( the drumming nav is about 1.5mb) however the video demands it unfortunatly and as the site is intended for record companies to use karl as a drummer, its imortant that they get to see his work really, i would welcome suggestions on how to keep the size down tho

Good idea about the the flash / broadband / nav being asked on the same page tho, i presume i'll just send a variable for the mainmove to load the diff nav from whatever button was chosen.

Anymore comments

cheers

Loaf

Flash Retard
    I can't make it past the broadband choice. The loader bar shows up a little then completely stops. It looks like it'll be a cool site if I could ever get in.
    12 Stones rocks!!!

Love the streaming video.
    Otherwise the site was average.
    I do not think that you utilized the space efficiently.
    maybe smaller screen size as opposed to a forced full screen.
    eggheadstudio.com...version 2.0...coming soon

Flash Retard
    Finally got in...
    I have to agree with not utilizing your space. The drum menu is a great idea though the video could be a little better quality. All in all though I think it's an excellent site.
    12 Stones rocks!!!

Hi

You did your site in flash MX probably so I don't know how this stuff will work with flash because I use swish.
    Well you can setup all your videos, image and audio in different levels with each file being loaded on a click or a press of the keyboard or after the page is loaded. In swish we have levels but I am sure there is something similar in flash mx. There are flash scripts that will load your page and then load each file one by one. I think that flash MX has all that but if it doesnt it should be some plugin for it.

Second and more important resolution must go down!!!

It is extremely unproffesional to focus on 1024 and higher resolution there is to many of us outhere with 800x600 and those with lower ones than that are used to scrolling so screw them. So I would suggest that you stick with 800 because it is in the middle and not to make your images wider than 770 px so scroll bar can have some space to move because of the borders.
    YOUR OWN PERSONAL CMS
    No templates. Integrates into any existing web site.

I thought it looked very nice, download time was ok. Maybee as said above an image in the background where the cotent loads.

-Adam-

I like it but that background hurts my eyes.

The navigation fonts are also a bit hard to read.

-NITIN ANAND-
    http://www.nanand78.com
    :::::::::: HTTP://WWW.NANAND78.COM ::::::::::

love the concept. very "it". made me feel like I was out of the loop for not knowing this musical prodigy. good first impressions .... check ;-D i think you've hit it when it comes to concept.

not cool though, was 1024 resolution (800x600). so much explaining to do to those with only standard monitors, even at record companies.

all of the type was a bit of a strain to read.

and to be really picky... browsers don't use Flash MX, designers and developers do. browsers use Flash plugins (4,5,6 or 7).
    MX AS 2.0 "ESC CTRL"