A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flashkit recreational vs. professional

Flashkit recreational vs. professional

I love this website. It is a benchmark for a friendly, productive and collaborative online community. I am not a actionscript guru or a programmer, but as a creative professional I have learned more from this site than any other.

At the same time when a budget does not allow me to hire someone proficient with flash I look to flashkit for help... especially when in a pinch, under deadline or trying to deliver superior customer service. But alas, my postings are not responded to.

Has anyone else ever run into this dilemma?
    Am I coming to this site for the wrong reason?

What the? Or am I just bitter that I don't have a solid understanding of actionscript.

[v]

SPAMMER
    If your budget doesn't allow for you to employ a flash professional, then a post in this forum won't help, as probably 90% of us are flash professionals and ignore any posts that look like slave labour. Its fine to ask for help here and there but people shouldn't be expected to put alot of time/effort into helping you on a project that you will get paid for and they won't.
    Last edited by jaybirch; 02-26-2004 at 07:10 AM.

That's weird..

Cause your post record has lots of responses:

http://www.flashkit.com/board/search...earchid=843460

Maybe you are not asking the right questions or asking too many questions or maybe you are just too demanding.

Nobody owes you anything.

I think the reason you don't get many detailed answers to your questions is because you aren't asking them in the right forums. A couple of your questions should have been placed in the Scripting and Backend forum. Also, some of your questions could be answered by searching through the open source movies and tutorials.

Some of us that have been here for a while get a little hardened to questions that we know could be answered by doing a quick search of this site.
    Click here to visit Scooter's World, the Chihuahua/Pekinese who thinks she is a Doberman, and has the soul of a true "artiste". Computer graphics, animation, logos, mascots (Vector work a specialty.).

Thank you for your responses and insights.

I have no intention of being demanding and it is ignorance on my part because I am often unable to quantify whether question is a backend or scripting issue. I am a backend & scripting noob.

You may know what its like: 20 hours of unproductive results, 4 hours of tutorial search queries that did not give me what I needed to understand the movie clip (and I never found an open source movie.) 10 more hours of unproductive results. Then bitterness because I miss an important deadline because I don't know actionscript.

peace

[v]

Originally posted by Vejvoda
    Thank you for your responses and insights.

I have no intention of being demanding and it is ignorance on my part because I am often unable to quantify whether question is a backend or scripting issue. I am a backend & scripting noob.

You may know what its like: 20 hours of unproductive results, 4 hours of tutorial search queries that did not give me what I needed to understand the movie clip (and I never found an open source movie.) 10 more hours of unproductive results. Then bitterness because I miss an important deadline because I don't know actionscript.

peace

[v]
    if you are not comfortable with AS, then you shouldnt offer it.

onus is on you to draw the line... simply ask for more $$ if clients' demands require a hired hand... if they dont want to pay more, then steer them towards using something else you know.

No I can't do it by tommorow.. 1stbite's Avatar
    Originally posted by MAC01
    simply ask for more $$ if clients' demands require a hired hand... if they dont want to pay more, then steer them towards using something else you know.
    totally agree, if i get asked to do something i dont normally do, i normally request some research time, and go find a third party who can do it, and get a quote on how long it will take them and how much.
    Then i add my percentage and also add some extra time and go back to the client , then I go about researching to see if its viable for me to do, if not give it to the third party... job done.

either way never undergo a project blind of the knowledge to complete...
    and in a blink of an eye...
    Media and Multimedia Courses in Nottingham - First Diploma | IMedia | HND | Foundation Degrees | BA(Hons) Top Ups.

Give a Twit a chance!

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™
    Originally posted by phacker

we know could be answered by doing a quick search of this site.
    100 % right . Vejvoda, there are ups and downs here at FK, right now and at this time of year its not very busy here . Usually all question will be answered IF you ask the right questions with rich details.

Good luck with your projects