dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Authoring Effects - _width?

Authoring Effects - _width?

Hi Folks,

I need a help with a variable when authoring an effect.

Let's suppose I drew a shape and its width is equal to 100px and added a "Core Effects/Transform effect" on it. Now I go to edit this effect and author it. In Transform Effect pop-up windows I mark the checkbox "Author" and select Transform Tab, and let's pick the for example the "Position X:" field. I want to insert "this._widht" or "getProperty(this,_width)" or Number(_this) or I don't know the right command/variable/whatever to add in this field. Well, this way I would tell to "Position X:" field to be equal to 100 px other value picked from the object because It will be an effect for any person use it with any shape/text/size. So, I won't know the name of the object and the size of it. I've tryed when authoring effect to add "this._widht", "getProperty(this,_width)", Number(_this),Eval(_this) and others, but they don't get to pick the width of the shape when it is inside the field. Is there any way to do it? Is it possible to be done?

Can somebody help me telling me the right way to do it?

Well folks, I'm sorry but my English isn't so good to try to explain. Therefore what I wrote is also a little confused or with write mistakes. :)

Thanks in advance,
    Lucato.

Hi lucato, and welcome to Flashkit!

I understand what you are trying to do, but I don't understand why you are trying to do it.

Could you explain why you need to know the object's properties?
    While changing my profile, I accidentally clicked the link that said
    "Add 'Dead Rabbit' to your Ignore List"
    so now I can't talk to myself anymore...

The Repository -:- The Forum

Hi Dead Rabbit. Thanks!

"I understand what you are trying to do, but I don't understand why you are trying to do it. Could you explain why you need to know the object's properties?"

Well D.R., I need the object's properties because if I didn't get these values the effect won't work right. I mean, won't give the expected effect results. As I said before, It will be an effect for any person use it. So, let's supose you use it and you will insert a text box and type in it +/-50 characters per line with 5 lines, your text box will get one size(WxH) or you type it bigger, it well get other size. Right? If you use the same effect over the different boxes with different sizes the effect will be messed. So I need to know W and H to make my effect works right. I know I can do it if it was inside the movie with scripts, but that is not the point, I want that effect properties call/pick the object values because "you" are going to create a new movie starting from zero and the effect will be a sfx file and not a swi. In last case if I didn't get to find it out, the solution I found was to ask people to insert the W and H size wich is shown in Panel Transform (tab), but if they enter a wrong value it will mess the expected effect results. So, that is why I need to get these values automatically. Got it?

Can you help me with this doubt Dead Rabbit? P..p.pp.pp..please, ops it isn't Roger Rabbit it is Dead Rabbit.

Thanks for your interest and reply. I'm sorry for my Language barrier.

Regards,
    Lucato.