A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: controling a flash movie from another one in a diff. HTML frame?

Banned
    Spent a lot of time on this today... Basically the problem is when you load the webPortfolio.swf from the webPortFound.swf, you're loading it on level 15, and that movie on level 15 already holds a copy the angelaalen.swf, and thats the one that remains on stage above the other movies you're loading on level 10.
    Think you could solve it by putting the frame & line stuff in the webPortFound.swf, and only have the content and titles in the webPortfolio.swf. Do you understand what I'm saying?

If not, will try to set it up today! No promises though! This is really easier said than done!

I think I understand what you are saying, I wasn't aware that I was loading movies on level 10 and 15. I'll take a look and let you know as soon as I get it to work.

Thanks

actually, the problem is in the webportfolio.swf inside the controlMovie. Notice how the name www.angelaalen.com stays there when it should change to other title. This is all in one level. What loads in level 10 is the screen shots, and that is loading fine. I guess I didn't understand what you explained earlier or I'm not explaining my process correctly.

????

Banned
    As I tried to explain, I think the problem is your first call to load webPortfolio.swf from webPortFound.swf on level 15. Since that already puts up a copy of the www.angelaalen.com site up (webPortfolio.swf does that automatically on start up), that's the one that remains on stage over the other one (on level 10) loaded through the buttons of the portfolioLeft.swf movie.

If you put up the shadowappeal site, notice how the angelaalen title does in fact move out to be replaced by the shadowappeal title, although one copy of it (along with the description text on the left)is still lying there? That other copy is on level 15, and was loaded in when you first loaded the webPortfolio.swf from the webPortFound.swf, and since you're not addressing that copy of the controlMovie on that level, it just lies there, while the other movements are in fact happening on level 10.

Do you better understand what I'm saying?

oldnewbie, there is only one copy of the description, which is alwasy going to be inside the controlMovie MC. The movies loaded on level 10 only have the snap shots.

webPortFound.swf is the foundation that loads the webportfolio.swf on level 15 so that I can load the snap shots below those black empty rectangles. If I were to put angelaalen's description inside angelaalen.swf it would show up below the gray fill of the description box on level 15. Which is why I put the description inside controlMovie...again only one copy.

What am I not understanding?

take a look at angelaalen.fla

Banned
    Guess I can't explain it better... Will try to work it out this afternoon, if I have a few minutes...

that would be fantastic. Did you understand what I tried to exaplain though?

Banned
    I understand what you're saying... The problem is that you don't understand what I'm saying!

Banned
    Another try before I get into this...

I run portfolio.html, and press the web button...
    What the hell, the angelaalen site is already up there and I even didn't press one of the sites buttons!
    You know why it's already up there?
    Because it's automatically loaded on level 15, when you load your webPortfolio.swf from the webPortFound.swf, and that copy of the angelaalen site's content (loaded on level 15), remains there visible, because your loading your other sites content (including the angelaalen site) on level 10. So they changed correctly on level 10, but the copy of the angelaalen site (on level 15) remains visible.

angelaalen is already there becuase she is the first on the list from the left, and I want to avoid an extra click or having to create an extra page for when they click web. By not putting a stop action on the first frame of controlMovie I let it play until frame 10 where I have a stop, and load her correspnding snap shots. Her content is on layer 9 frame 10, and it should disappear when the movie clip controMovie is given the command to play()

I hope this makes it clearer, if not please ask.

Banned
    I give up!

hehehehe no pleaseeeeeee no,

tell me what I can do to explain it better. I guess I'm just gonna have to wait till you have some time to do it, because I obviously can't grasp what you are saying....I feel so stupid.

Thanks

please tell me where you see it being loaded twice. I only see the description of the page on layer 9 frame 10 inside controlMovie

I can't believe this post has gone to 4 pages. Your help has been priceless.

Banned
    I'm working on it!

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhessseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesss sssshhhhhhhhh!

Banned
    Ok! Got it to work! Now, all that's left to do, is spend a couple of hours trying to figure out, how I got it working...

http://blake.prohosting.com/~tektips...portfolio.html

BTW, be careful with the naming (& spelling) of your files (even the htmls)... Although it won't make a difference when testing locally, a capital "P" or not, in one of your files' names, will make a hell of a difference when the files are online.
    You don't use the exact same spelling on the actual files' names and when you call them up within your .swfs, and that will get you in trouble!

wow! a million thanks. I won't even ask you what was wrong. I'll just dig into the source files. Will you send them to me?

Thanks for the naming advice. I'm aware of it, and it still happens to me a lot. On a unix server (which is case sensitive) a name difference will make the whole thing phtsssssssssssss.

well thanks again. Have a good night.

oldnewbie, whenever you get a chance please let me know if I can get those files and where.

thanks in advanced