A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: About flashkit

Big Boi

About flashkit

I would like this to be constuctive critic. Soo, i am wondering why is FK still the same from FLASH 5 version, it just doesn't keep up at all. Site had so much resoruces for flash 5, i think it as it's peak then, games section also added so much content to site. Then games section was closed, then i heard some changes were folowing and then it seemed it all stoped, i think for a year futured flash page on homepage of FK wasn't chanhed, no new tutorials or just some really useless ones, very few new FLA's and more and more little banners all around home page. It's 2004 now, flash 7 is out for some time and FK still looks the same, very outdated. Don't know what is the politics of owners of this site but it's certainls isn't progressive. So after some time using FK i looked at ULTRASHOCK. And after some time being there i can say all things are better there, not perfect but better. The only thing stronger here is community(board), You can stil find much more answers here. Tutorials and FLA's are also better there, they r doing quaility over quantity and you can find some really good TUT's there.
    What i suggest is that here you can found much good info on board's and i think they should be redesigned just to look a bit better and the whole site to have a much more modern design, possibly with flash header and menu, something like MM has, that would be nice. Also this yellow color isn't a good solution, it isn't pleasent to look at. Hope this does something good, i do HTML/FLASH and know that there is much work to do new design and adopt it to site of this scale but not so much that this page doesn't deserve it. Maybe just to upgrade FORUM looks, anyway so many people go just to the forum....

1) If the head honcho wants to change the site, he will, but unless you speak with him and tell him, he won't read this post.
    2) FK yellow and blue pwns you.

Originally posted by bvgroote
    Amen to that!
    |"Silence teaches you how to sing"

It's gotten to where Flash just don't do it for people anymore, unless it's a high-end site done by some top production company. So there's no as much emphasis towards open source files anymore, that and there's so many as it is, after awhile you just can't make original files.

And Flashkit has gone through alot of employee changes as well. I remember the days when there was atleast 10 people or more working with the site, but now I really can recall one person (Starkey).

You really can't complain though, it's a free site. I'm sure if there were enough members willing to pay Mr. Starkey $30 a month he could do something. And if I remember correctly, a Flash header was in the works two years ago, but Flash would make for slow loading times and the way it is now is much more econimical, so the idea was scrapped.

sites this big become huge, rich, deep living things.
    they change slowly, over time, like the tectonic plates.
    i'll admit, there are a few seasons of dead wood on the 'site', such as the .fla's and tutorials...
    but these boards are as healthy as they've ever been...
    forget about looks, these boards are THE place for flash help.

sites this big are what they are...

bow to the blue and yellow....

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

Ok, I must agree that FK is lacking a little bit in the Fla's section. I have looked for some flas and tutorials for FlashMX and there I cant find any good one. Flash 5 has tons. But anyway, like nords said, the boards are more than enough for me. If you need help, what better than some good advise from people in the boards.
    |"Silence teaches you how to sing"

The .fla's and tutorials have gone down hill alright.

Maybe a good solution to the problem would be to provide some of the people who contribute so much to this site (and the Flash community in general) some hosting space for their .fla's and tutorials. FK gets the benefit of fresh traffic and content, while the contributors get the benefit of free hosting and the backing of a massive website.

A few people in the games forum immediatly come to mind as I mention that, but Im sure there are others in the forum's I don't visit anymore.

Originally posted by bvgroote