A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: ***25 Brand Spankin' New Effects*** (for a total of 200)

Hybrid View

Hey all,

I've just finished work on a new batch of effects. I'm posting them here before releasing them on the website to get your reactions.

These new effects (well, 23 of the 25) are a new type of effect, which I call Intelligent WildFX. Using Flash 4 actionscript, I have made effects which make themselves at runtime. These effects all have one or several characteristics which are determined randomly at runtime (color, position, scale, alpha, rotation, etc.), guaranteeing the effect never plays the same way twice. What's more, since most of these new effects automatically loop (disable the loop options in SWfX) it also means that the never repeats.

One reason I constructed these (other than the challenge, of course) is because this type of effect is simply impossible with SWiSH or FlaX. It is possible with SWfX only because of the unique way SWfX reads SWFs (the WildFX) and generates effects.

Anyway, I was hoping to get your reaction to these, because I want to know if you guys would use effects like this. They take *much* longer to build than the standard WildFX because of the actionscripting. So I want to know if it's worthwhile building more effects like these.

Anyway, enough talk. Here you go:

http://www.wildform.com/wildfx/WildFX_AI_25.zip

Just chuck them in your "effects" directory and restart SWfX.

Thanks!

r
    [Edited by RBlank_Wildform on 11-12-2000 at 01:38 PM]

Problems

A few of them don't seem to be working properly (nocticeable many of the matrix ones are exactly all the same...I'm assuming they weren't suppose to be like that)

Another problem is that many get cut off or end way too early before the effect is finished

They're not ready to be available fro mthe main page on the site.

Potentially cool effects that could use little more fixing

Same

These ones are the same: (or at least seem to be)

Matrix XY Dots
    Matrix XY
    Matrix Field

dr s:

please check something:

is "loop preview" checked? If so, uncheck it (And loop output). That option only does what you want it to do on effects which don't loop automatically. The effects you mentioned all loop automatically.

please post a follow-up, so I know what's going on.

Thanks!

r

Yep

They work fine when the loop preview is unchecked.
    I usually leave it on to view the effect in a loop.
    "Loop Preview" works fine with the other 175 effects, why doesn't it work with these new ones???

Oh ok

I think I know what you're talking about, they are effects that half way thorugh start to loop and the effects keeps on going, now if we loop the already looped file, the looped part gets cut off....so that's why it doesn't display properly.....

No need to explain....I hacked into your brain!
    :-)

excellent. You are 100% correct.

As for the effects, what are your thoughts? Was it worth the amount of time it took me?

r

oh, I forgot to say. Check out the file sizes these new effects create: really small, because generated mostly with actionscript, rather than keyframe animation and multiple symbols.

Definately

I say make both kinds. For everyone two regualr ones you make, make one using actinscripting

definitely...

I agree with Dr. Sparky... keep up the good work R Blank... the new actions are nice as heck.

I do have one question though... so, can we make our own *.swf files, and bring them into WildSWfX?

Please say yes...

Byron Zed

EXCELLENT!

I DEFINITELY wanna see more effects like these! the work is hard, but the endresult is absolutly astonishing! keep up the good work! 200 effects.. whoop.. beating the competition to a bloody pulp!

Peace.
    [Edited by bzed on 11-13-2000 at 03:51 AM]

Re: definitely...

Originally posted by gerbick

I do have one question though... so, can we make our own *.swf files, and bring them into WildSWfX?

Please say yes...
    TOTALLY! That's one of the key features of SWfX. Hit the start button, Programs -> Wildform SWfX -> WildFX Tutorial. Read that tutorial and you will learn how to make new effects. If you don't have it installed for some reason, a copy is at http://www.wildform.com/tutorials

Also, you can visit http://www.wildswfx.com to download the .flas for the first 175 effects, so you can change them to do whatever you want. The .flas for these new 25 are coming soon.

Stay cool!

r

Re: EXCELLENT!

Originally posted by bzed
    I DEFINITELY wanna see more effects like these! the work is hard, but the endresult is absolutly astonishing! keep up the good work! 200 effects.. whoop.. beating the competition to a bloody pulp!

Peace.
    [Edited by bzed on 11-13-2000 at 03:51 AM]
    thanks, bzed:

comments like these make the work worthwhile. Let's get up to 500 effects!

r

The total of available effects

Hey,

Where can I pick up all the effects. I got the new 25 and the previous 60. what about the rest?

movingdigi

http://www.wildswfx.com
    click "plugins" and then "download"

stay cool,

r

Byron Zed

Re: Re: EXCELLENT!

Originally posted by RBlank_Wildform

Let's get up to 500 effects!

r [/B]
    I'M GAME!