A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Problem exporting movie in Flash MX

Problem exporting movie in Flash MX

Hi guys and gals, wonder if any of you could shed a little light on a problem I'm having.

I have produced a cartoon in MX (the .fla is about 26meg) but I can't export the file and turn it into a swf.

Everytime I select 'export movie', the progress bar appears and the conversion begins, but stops about half way through the process.

I've tried to 'export movie' on a friends computer with no success.

I've spent about a month creating this damn animation and now I can't turn it into a swf. ****!

My specs are: PC Athlon 1.2g, 128mg ram NVidia Geforce2, Flash MX.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

Sara

X

this is hard to diagnose from this distance, but from looking at your specs you probably need more RAM. 128MB is not enough.

we used to not even be able to create swf's from large .fla's even when running 256MB of RAM. we all have 1GB now, and things are good.

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

Re: Problem exporting movie in Flash MX

Originally posted by Lil' Sara
    My specs are: PC Athlon 1.2g, 128mg ram NVidia Geforce2, Flash MX.
    This is probably your problem.

a) Regardless of whether or not this works...get more RAM...now!
    b) the vid card wont make a difference.

Ok. Here is something to try. Try publishing again...and watch the CPU usage on your machine...it will probably get pinned at 100%. If so...add the ram...see if that helps...it should slightly...but not a lot.

Open up a new (blank) fla file. Copy all of the frames from your current movie into the blank one. Name it something different from your current one. Publish from this one. Don't worry about the library items...they will copy over along with the frames that you move.

Sometimes, after editting and re-editting the ilibrary items in flashMX, the fla stops working as it should. This may or may not work...but it's something to try.

RH
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Tha 4th Die'Mention beyond the Plane of Tranquility

FILE>PUBLISH

Hi lil' Sara.

Instead of exporting the movie you should just publish it. It's right below the export option under FILE>PUBLISH. That will give you .swf and many other file types as well. What other file types???? you might ask. Just click on File>Publish Settings (its right below Publish)and you will see a list of all the available types. Hope this is what you were looking for and have a good day.

nordberg
    hanratty21

I need more ram? Dammit! I guess you're right, tho'.

hanratty21

I did try the cpu usage thing with the 'resource meter' while I was trying to export the movie and and it read:

System Resources 67% free

User Resources 67% free

GDI Resources 80% free

Also tried copying the frames into a new blank fla and then exporting movie, without any success.

CheyenneWay

I tried to publish the movie instead, but it didn't work in the same way that it didn't work when I chose to 'export movie'.

Ah well, I guess it's back to the drawing board.

Thanx anyway for the replies, nordberg, hanratty21, CheyenneWay.

Sara

I've got the same problem, there's something in my flash file that it just doesn't like. I can export some swfs but this (really important) one just gets half way through and then gives up.

Same thing happens when I try to publish.

I'm running a Palamino1400 with 1gb ram...
    mx2004 pro 7.0.1

any ideas?

cheers
    Pete

I've done some searching on a few forums and there's been a few people post similar questions about it not being able to publish or test movie and it just giving up half way through the "exporting flash movie" progress bar instead.

When I try to save as an MX file something is going wrong too because when I go to load it up on the school computers (that run MX) it just loads up an utterly blank document.

Surely there's some sort of solution to this crashing half way through the progress bar problem? At the moment I'm just trying to copy each individual bit of my .fla into a new .fla one by one and testing after each bit because new (simple) .flas can publish OK so I'm not sure about what element it doesn't like.

I don't think it's a hardware problem because my PC scarcely struggles with Flash! It's really important that I get this sorted, please, if anyone has any ideas, don't be shy.

Cheers
    Pete

Interesting to note that Lil' Sara who started this thread was having problems with a 26mb .fla and mine is also quite sizeable at 11mb.

OK I found a solution to my problem.

There was a frame script in one of my MCs that simply stated:

_root.levelsText.text="some text"

I put it there so that my dynamic textbox at the _root level would change to "some text". However, it didn't.

When I delete that line of code my flash movie suddenly has the ability to test and publish. Put the line of code back in and it crashes every time... take it out again and it works fine. Very strange and unacceptable, I hope Macromedia suss this one out ASAP!

Pete