dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: That Crazy Combo Box

That Crazy Combo Box

Hey everyone...

When using the MX Combo Box Component, I'm running into some issues. It seems like when you use 2 or more Combo Boxes, that Flash has a problem with layering. My Combo Boxes are being dynamically poplulated with XML data, no problem...Change handlers all working fine, no problem. BUT, the drop down menus are showing up BEHIND the other Combo Boxes on the stage. I've tried numerous things to fix this, but since it's pretty hit and miss (meaning it works about 40% of the time), it's difficult to debug. If anyone has run into this issue and fixed it WITHOUT having to build your own Combo Boxes from scratch, please let me know!! It's driving me CRAZY!!

Some random info about the movie: When the movie starts, all 4 combo boxes are set to _alpha=0; ... Using the change handler, the playhead moves to the next frame and sets the next combo box to _alpha=100; ... I've tried taking off the _alpha actionScript, but it didn't do anything. This component is in a .swf all on its own and gets loaded into a level above everything else in the site.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

APPENDED: 100% succes rate on Mac IE 5.2....all other browsers, 50%....go figure...
    Last edited by henager; 03-03-2004 at 09:22 PM.

Re: That Crazy Combo Box

Originally posted by henager
    Hey everyone...

When using the MX Combo Box Component, I'm running into some issues. It seems like when you use 2 or more Combo Boxes, that Flash has a problem with layering. My Combo Boxes are being dynamically poplulated with XML data, no problem...Change handlers all working fine, no problem. BUT, the drop down menus are showing up BEHIND the other Combo Boxes on the stage. I've tried numerous things to fix this, but since it's pretty hit and miss (meaning it works about 40% of the time), it's difficult to debug. If anyone has run into this issue and fixed it WITHOUT having to build your own Combo Boxes from scratch, please let me know!! It's driving me CRAZY!!

Some random info about the movie: When the movie starts, all 4 combo boxes are set to _alpha=0; ... Using the change handler, the playhead moves to the next frame and sets the next combo box to _alpha=100; ... I've tried taking off the _alpha actionScript, but it didn't do anything. This component is in a .swf all on its own and gets loaded into a level above everything else in the site.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

APPENDED: 100% succes rate on Mac IE 5.2....all other browsers, 50%....go figure...
    so what you're saying is you're just trying to bring the combo box to the FRONT of the movie, like the windows interface when you click on another window? - cheers
    Just think... I'm only 2 people short of a threesome

The ComboBox is already at the front of the movie. What happens is when you click the drop down arrow and the combo box drops down, it goes behind the other combo boxes on the stage.

post FLA and SWF that gets loaded into it plz

Banned
    Assuming you have the latest browser player plugins, I bet you if you test your file online, that it will work properly.
    If so, it only means you have to update your test (in the application) & standalone players, and it should then work fine when testing your file locally.

o0Raze0o - I can't post the .fla or .swf because our client doesn't allow us to share data with anyone until the site is launched. Lame as hell, but true...sorry, and thanks for your help.

oldnewbie - I have been testing it online this whole time. I don't test my movies in the standalone player because it sucks...anyway, I updated my Flash Player to the latest that was on macromedia, but it's giving me the same problem. I've done everything I can think to do. Have you (or anyone) ever dug into the code that runs these components? It seems almost like there might be a problem with one of the attachMovie scripts in that it is attaching it at a lower level than the other elements. Also, may it have something to do with the skin registration? I did make a lot of changes to the skin, could that be an issue?

Again guys, thanks so much. This is driving me insane.

Banned
    If you can't post the original .fla, then post a small mockup .fla, replicating the problem... There's no way to find a possible solution to your problem with the only info provided.

In my case the .fla should be zipped up and in MX only format.

have you tried loading each box into it's on movie clip yet? then putting the movie clips on different layers? that might work ^_^

oORazeOo - Yeah...That's currently how I have it setup. I've even tried putting multiple layers in between the clips, but of course that doesn't do anything. I've also tried taking off the other 3 combo boxes and it still gives me the error. The more and more I look at this, I think it's something within the component itself.

I know this is way after the fact, but I just ran across this thread doing a search for something else...

Here's a doc on Macromedia's web site I found via Google before finding this thread (possibly it is also in the Flash Help documentation) This pertains directly to this thread's topic:

http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flash...e=02_wor19.htm

It looks to be complicated and a Pain in the butt, but perhaps it could get someone else who is having this problem pointed in the right direction.

Cheers!

-skyeflye

Hey skyeflye - Thanks for the response. After digging for the past few weeks I found that documentation too, but it only applies Flash MX 2004, not Flash MX....sucks. But I was able to correct the issue, so if anyone ever comes across this problem, they can do what I did.

I originally had four combo boxes in a movie clip loading into _level250. So after many days of torture of this thing not working the way it's supposed to, I tried something else and it worked! I looked at it like it was it's own little site. I created one file that contained all of my variables, the XML data, etc. called the shell, loaded that onto level250, then loaded each combo box into another level, (ie. combobox1=_level251, comboBox2=_level252, etc). Although it's kind of a hack way to do it, I was able to preserve all the work that I had done previously and I didn't have to build custom drop down menus.

Then, two days after it started working, the client pulled it out of the site. Bastards. But it works if they ever want it back!

Originally posted by henager
    Then, two days after it started working, the client pulled it out of the site. Bastards. But it works if they ever want it back! [/B]
    I truly hate some clients.

Good thinking on your solution! That doesn't sound like much of a "hack" at all. It sounds like "figuring out how to make the tool do what you want."

For me, this kind of thing is the most interesting (and simultaneously frustrating) thing about working in Flash: Having to re-think a solution I thought would work, when it ends up not working. While time-consuming, it is good "mental exercise"...like working through math problems to stay sharp. And sometimes it can be very mind opening as well. It helps me to keep an "outside the box" methodology in other aspects of life; even outside of work.

Cheers!

-skyeflye