A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Spreading 12 fps out to 24 fps

Control - Z Me, Please.

Spreading 12 fps out to 24 fps

I guess I'm asking a lazy question, but is there an easy way to spread a 12 fps animation out to 24 fps? For example, an older toon that you've made at 12 fps. Or do you just have to use old fashioned elbow grease and go through hand inserting a frame between every frame?
    Latest Cartoon: DEFENDER OF EARTH
    Latest Game: VORTEX
    Me Being a Dork:JediBrian

If your doing this because u want to use the animation using a different frame rate then what i'd do is export the movie in swf. Then bring it into the animation with the new frame rate. There should maby be some options or it will just ask you if you want it to ajust to the new frame rate or leave it.

Hope that helps a little .

Always Twirling Toward Freedom pooon's Avatar
    Adjusting frame rate is not fun. For the channel surfing project, someone sent me a clip at 30 fps, even though the project is running at 24. I had to first figure out the difference (20%) then pull out the calulator and figure out the new frame number for each keyframe.

Or maby it only asks you if you export it as something other then a swf . Well in that case just export it in every movie format flash exports to until you can find one that works for you .

Heh I did this once.

If you just need it playing at 24fps without going double the speed, make everyframe 2 frames, if you get my meaining.
    Then it will look exactly the same as if it were a 12fps animation, but play at 24fps.

Though if you want a smoother animation then you have to hand insert every frame I guess.
    - I made this!
    http://www.okkle.co.uk - creatures, art, animation and toys!
    Toilet Trumps

Control - Z Me, Please.
    My original question is simply that I have been doing all my animations at the default 12 fps... now that I'm working on a slightly bigger scale animation, I have once again started it in 12 fps, and since been reading about how people double frame in 24 fps. Therefore, I was wondering if there was a way to quickly insert a frame between all my present frames without manually going through and sticking a frame betweeen my keyframes...

Always Twirling Toward Freedom pooon's Avatar
    Afraid not. Its something macromedia should put in for the next version, especially since they gave animators the shaft with mx2004.

Control - Z Me, Please.
    Thanks, Poon.. I knew you'd know! I guess I'll stick to 12 fps for this one and then move up to 24 from now on...