dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Different way to make a flash chat?

Different way to make a flash chat?

Hey guys,

I have been asked to design a simple flash based chat room. First thing that came to my mind was XML Sockets. But then I started to learn about its limitations. For example, the host needs to install a chat server, which most hosts do not allow due to security reasons.

So, I knew the other way is to use Flash Com, but obviously that means you need Flash Communication Server, but obviously, thats also another problem.

So here I am, I need to make a simple flash based chat room, but one that can easily be installed onto any server without many requirements. Someone reccommended Application Variables, like in ASP. I don't know ASP so I'm not entirely sure if that would work. So does anyone know of any other way to do this? One in which the database, or a txt file isn't called upon every second to overload the server? Or one that doesnt need any new installations on the server?

Thanks,
    Zak.

your asking too much.

no matter what your gonna need some "middle-ware" like php or asp installed on the server.

a flash chat with a txt file is not soo good.

I would say a simple solution would be flash/php/mySql combo.

~Dev

Oh sorry, my bad. I forgot to mention that I DO have access to ASP if I need to use it. Although, I just dont want to be overloading the server by using a Database or txt file.

So is there a way to it with Flash and ASP?

Thanks,
    Zak.

I don't think so.
    Trying to keep track of users, logins, logouts and their messages without storing them somewhere is gonna bog your server down even more than using a database. Maybe you could do it with session variables but a database would still be less strain. If your really concerned you can do it with a text file, but you will be EXTREMELY limited in what you can do.
    ~Dev

Hi,

a good compromise seems to be a database with the chatters sending requests every few seconds and maintaining state - so the movie asks "send me new messages since msg #371" rather than "send me all messages"

Musicman