A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: SMS Sending

SMS Sending

Hi

I have got to know from microsoft's site that using C# SMS can be send to any mobile device. Is it possible through Flash also.

Can any help me out how to setup an application to send sms to GSM network mobile phones.

Regatrds
    Last edited by sutar; 02-18-2004 at 07:25 AM.

Well, SMS is very similar to email in a number of ways, and flash can call a CGI script to send an email.

Here in South Africa, we can send SMS's via one company by sending an 140 chracter-long email to 0801234567@company.co.za, using the number of the receiving cell and the company's domain name.

However, in order to send an SMS out on the network requires a gateway. Gateways are usually available from the cellphone company, at a cost. They dont want anyone creating a SMS app, and flooding their network with SMS's that they do not get any money for. Gateways are also usually company-specific, in that if you send an SMS to a user whose service provider is company A, but you use company B's gateway, it will fail.

I did endless research on how to build a gateway myself, but sadly no one is interested in writing a tutorila. There is a free gateway, written in PERL that I found, but I could not a) understand it and b) get the cellphone companies to tell me details I needed to set it up.

One obvious way is to contact a cellphone company, and work out some way to get the user to pay for SMS's they send, then the company will be much more helpful.

If you by some lucky chance are a VB coder, and you have a method of writing a gateway, please do let me know!
    Hariyemadzisawira nhaka yedu! Down the SCUD and win!
    I'm too lazy to read Private Messages.

Hi

Yeah some of the molbile providers provide an email id to all the numbers in their network.

But in our country there are so many company's providing cellural service is there any other alternatives to send sms.

as yahoo provides through its messenger

Thanks

http://www.xmethods.net has a few different sms web services for sending SMS messages. I haven't tried them but they're free.

Regards,
    Nader Nejat // Multimedia Consultant + Developer
    OmegaMedia // http://www.omegamedia.com
    "We help people express their visual and technical ideas"

2HT

toooo complicated!

-Hey guys check out this little app that I came up with:

http://www.2hitek.com/sms

TOTALLY FREE and totally customizable...hopefully version 2 of the messenger will be viewable with the v2 version of 2hitek in a few days on my 21. Peace!

-Ninu