dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: spiffy intro~

spiffy intro~

no its not a full fledged site, but i did design a 2 minute intro for a company.. first ever and created with alot of help from flashkit. tell me what yall think. load time... animation quality.. frame rate. anything

and... after the intro, it jumps into probally the ugliest site you'll ever see. lol. im redesigning that for them as well.

www.marquegroup.com

i hate that i cant have it open in a non resizable seperate popup window seeing as its only 550 x 400 in size, but they wanted it in the same page and centered. oh well anyways... comments please.

oh yea.. i made the music in fruityloops. u like? i was hoping it wasnt too abnoxious
    Last edited by thefuzmixman; 03-13-2004 at 11:40 PM.
    i love you..

~dl coming soon

latest work, my only flash work so far..
    http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...hreadid=538337

Very nice intro.
    I like the text effects a lot. What plug in did you use for text effects if its not a secret or are they all hand-done?
    The pace of the intro is just perrfect. It looks like a professional TV commercial. Very nicely done!

ty sir...

text effects in flash itself are an absolute drag. too tedious.
    i used Flax for the text. its perfect for catchy effects.

as far as the rest, software is your friend.
    Last edited by thefuzmixman; 03-13-2004 at 11:48 PM.
    i love you..

~dl coming soon

no body else? hows the speed? size?
    i love you..

~dl coming soon

speed and size are fine for me on cable modem

Nice job.

Fruity loops sound good not too much.

The only thing that got me a bit was some of the text effects happen too fast.

The one that says something something something Best. I didn't see the best the first time through. I must have blinked.

and the effect where you deal the words from the left then from the right with the word crucial in it: That effect makes it extremely difficult to follow the thought that you are trying to convey because my brain is just trying to read the words. Not grasp the concept. Looks great, but not very effective communication. Lost the forest for the trees so to speak.

LOVED the think outside of the box!!!

Visually a treat!
    Roxanne
    King's Court Productions
    Swish2 2003.05.20

I found it to be a bit large. But well done. Some people will not sit through a intro loading that long. Forget about dial-up. Cable took a about a minute or so.

The look and feel is great nice work!! I would just suggest to shrink down the size a little. 2MB is large
    "Shhhhh I have insomnia and Im trying to sleep it off."

size is an issue with some and with some it isnt i see. well, i just needed more opinions. i do realize that 2 megs is large, but i was also impressed at how fast it downloaded when i tested it. about 30 seconds. Heres a question for someone. when im looking at the bandwith profiler and it has nothing in the entire movie over 5 kb, exactly how is that possible?

as far as the text speed goes. yes, things happen fast, but thats what happens when u try to match every animation to the pace of the beat. lol.. roxanne that line u cant read is pretty complicated.

"When handling the most crucial business endeavors or attaining a small company's goal... rest assured we represent our own as the very best...."

i dont know if i did good or if i over did this though.. i havent heard feedback yet about the final draft from my client. i do know that they wanted something powerful. lol.. i tried.
    i love you..

~dl coming soon

i liked it overall, i think it was a heck of a lot better than a lot of the flash intro's out there.

the text effects with the exception of the crucial business one were really good, i especially liked the one where the letters flew around in circles and replaced each other.

what i did not like:

the trasition from the traffic part to the global part, it looked really plain, too much white space for that part. i didnt really like the globe part at all actually, i was too used to the full color photos, the vector images were boring and didnt fit in well.

the music. i think this took a lot out of the impact of the intro. visually it was very strong but the music was a little weak and did not fit well. although i have to admit that the beginning with just the bass drum and the red text on white bg made me watch the whole movie just cause i liked that part so much.

good work, im not a big intro fan, i think they are boring for the most part and i usually skip right through them, but yours was fairly long and i watched the whole thing.

well thats cool man, i've got the jist of what i can improve next time i do one. thanks for your opinion. lol too bad u didnt like the globe transition thing, though that was a ***** in a half to do
    i love you..

~dl coming soon

I like it, very interesting but even if it was a commercial on television that would have been far too long.

And yes it took awhile (30-50) seconds to load which for me is too long to sit and wait.

The last thing that bugged me which is a compliment to your talents sit - the website this flash is based on is soooooooo underwhelming compared to the intro. You expect something smooth and (no pun intened) with flash. We dont get that there.

hey there,

first off from a flash / design point of view the intro is pretty damn nice.

The things I'd change are:
    1. a bunch of the text fx are cheasy (like the putting the send together when its split into two) you have a lot of nice ones though, so just get rid of the cheasy one
    2. the freeway at night scene, first animates up and around... then it stis still and looks cool. that animation looks cheasy.
    3. the preloader is a bit intenst... I dont think I need that many significant digits to know whats going on and it makes it look crowded.

In general I'm a hater of big long (and from a practical standpoint pointless) intros. I understand that if done well they catch the eye and add to the gee whiz feel of the site so If your client wants it then more power to you. This one however seems extreeeeemely long (not sure exactly). And I'm sure of course you're going to have a skip intro button

overall me likes.... looking forward to seeing the work you do on their site

peace
    systematically sparatic,
    my rhymes come automatic