A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: metallic background

metallic background

Can anyone advise of a tutorial or plug in to create a silver metallic background, i need it to look very professional and upmarket, nice and subtle not crude and chunky like my efforts in photoshop using various gradients etc..I have heard of KPT5.0 would this be useful.

Thanks heaps

gavel

So what you want is for it to look realistic? I'm sure there's any good tutorials that would help make a realistic looking metal, but there are a few that are made to explain how to make a metallic looking background.

Try the add noise filter, then motion blur it to a certain extent. Then play with color and brightness settings to make it greyish. This should make a metallic texture.

Here's a good example of that, but more indepth.

http://www.idigitalemotion.com/tutorials/metal.html

To add to his post, concider reflections. Alot of matalic textures look metalic because they reflect something, for the best effect I would recomend using a picture with alot of lights and bright things. The color doesnt matter cuz what you'll want to do is desaturate the image so there are no colors. Then lay it over the metalic and make it transparant.

If the picture is bigger then what you want to put it over or if there are just areas there the metalic isnt and the picture is, then you can 'Ctrl+left' click (Command click for mac's) the layer were the metalic object is. This should select everything in the layer. Then, click the layer were the reflective image is. This will make it so that the secection is on the reflect layer. Then go to Select>invert (or invert selection... something like that) and then hit delete. This will get rid of access picture without having to manualy cut it all out .