A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: loadMovie() and ignored scripts/events

loadMovie() and ignored scripts/events

Greetz all,

I got one "simple" question:

How to manage to loadMovie() the way the old (3.x) 3DFA did? It was very useful to use "levels" as slots for loading different movies. Now it got complicated. I use a simple script to load a movie:

Code:
    mymovie = this.createMovie();
    mymovie.loadMovie("movie1.swf");
    When called this way, the parent movie still plays (as expected) BUT - the just loaded movie ignores any Button+Script activities, sound play, etc.

I also tried simpler script to load a movie:
    Code:
    loadMovie("movie1.swf");
    And - the parent movie got replaced by a new one (so it's not playing anything anymore, ie. soundloop). The scripts and all actions in a new loaded movie work fine now, but the parent movie is gone. Same applies to any Slideshow-kinda activities - when a "this.createMovie()"; is called first (from a parent movie), Slideshows are just ignored, thus they work fine if I simply replace a parent movie with a loadMovie() method. But then I lose all the parent movie features, such as - background, music, etc. THIS IS REALLY ANNOYING!

Does anyone know how to override this new "feature" ? As far I can see, original FlashMX has now two functions for loading movies:
    Code:
    loadMovie();
    and
    Code:
    loadMovieNum();
    - which corresponds to a old style loading a movie to a specified level. 3DFA seem to implement only the first one, resulting in a serious drawback in movie control functions

Can anyone help me please with this problem? I'm totally depressed..

Thanks in advance..

This was coverd in another thread, where it was suggested to use the CHILD movie rather than loaded since CHILD movies can now be loaded at runtime. Not the perfect solution but it does work.

Originally posted by blanius
    Not the perfect solution but it does work.
    Not always. I've had so many problems with variables and child movies.
    Dan

Oops. I broke it.... again.