A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash Movies on Pocket PC

Flash Movies on Pocket PC

Hi,

This is possibly a silly question but will a normal flash movie executable (for example cerated with flash 5) run OK on Pocket PC?

I'm thinking of getting an ipaq but I want to make sure that some flash applications I have will work on it.

Thanks in advance.
    [swf width="300" height="40" background="#FFDDBB"]http://www.casalia.co.uk/asteroidsFoot.swf[/swf]

-----
    a normal flash movie executable
    -----
    do you mean a projector type of executable?

I don't really know. It's a flash movie but has a .exe extension rather than a .swf extension.

I had hoped that pocket PC would just require it's own version of the flash player and that would enable you to play normal flash content on it...
    [swf width="300" height="40" background="#FFDDBB"]http://www.casalia.co.uk/asteroidsFoot.swf[/swf]

.exe should mean that it is a projector and not just a SWF. Note that .exe flash files do not require a flash player on the user's system to play because the flash player capability is built into the .exe.

The Flash player for PPC is not the exact same player as desktop pc player. The player code included in your .exe created in Flash 5, uses a desktop pc version of the player, and will probably not work on PPC.

MM offers a special application for creating Flash projectors for PPC. I suspect they offer this special software because .exe created with the desktop pc player do not work on PPC. You could always try it out and see what happens.

On the other hand the SWF contained in the .exe may be ok for use on PPC. You might re-create the app as just a SWF, embed it in html and load it pocket IE to test.

Note that when you install flash on PocketPC you are just installing a ActiveX control player for pocket IE. The install does not include a "stand alone" player for viewing native SWF. Instead you embed the SWF in a html doc and load this into Pocket IE for viewing. Or you can buy the Bryt Flash player which functions like the stand alone player for desktop pc.
    Last edited by hp3; 03-17-2004 at 11:28 AM.

So in a nutshell, you think it will probably work if I play a swf using the pocket PC player, but it may not work if I play a projector file because it incorporates its own player. OK - I can probably get hold of a swf version.

Thanks.

yes, try the SWF. Your .exe contains a desktop pc player which probably wont work for PocketPC.