dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Does this preloader work ok?

Does this preloader work ok?

hey,

I have a 2mg intro with background music. the music is like 8mg. I have made a preloader. can you guys check to see if i did it right, because my movie still "lags". Why does my movie lag? is it because i did masking? the mask part is the only thing lagging. This lag is driving me nuts. This is my first preloader by the way. I tried even removing the background music, but still my movie lagged, not as much though. So i am thinking something is wrong with my preloader or maybe the masking stuff is wrong.

Thx.

Baljinder

The preloader seems to work fine. But you are also loading another swf

loadMovie("1.swf", 1);

....which is slightly wrong code, should be

loadMovieNum("1.swf", 1);

...as you load into a _level

Do you have a preloader in that swf too? Because that may drag down the preformance.

Also your framerate is only 9,5 fps try and get it up to 20 or something.

Moving big graphic elements as you do also makes the movie slower.

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog
    http://talesofthepixel.blogspot.com

i see,

That loadmovie thing was not supposed to there. I deleted it. Ok...so i noe it's not my preloader, i tried setting my framerate to 20. That hellped ALOT, but now my movie is like 22sec. instead of 46sec. Can i make my movie be at framerate 20 and still have it be 46sec? DO i have to make each of my timeline thingies longer? that will take too long, is there an easier was to get around this?

Thx,
    baljinder

fps means 'frame per second'. if you set your fps at 20, you have 20 frames per second. So, for 46 seconds you need....
    gparis

lol, i understand fps. when i set my movie to 20fps, it ran a lot smoother, meaning i didn't have a lag problem. Now....my question is...how can i make my movie still be 46sec. long when it is playing 20fps. Do i have to make each of my motion teweenies longer? if so...that will take too long, is that the only way i can make my movie 46sec. long at 20fps?

If you still don't undersand what i am saying.....tell me, i'll think of a diffent way to explain it.

Baljinder

Well it means that 20 frames of tweens or whatever will pass each second. There is no way around it but to adjust everything in the file to the new rate.

Also, the main movies fps gives the fps for other movies loaded into it ( they will adapt to that framerate ).

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog

bummer, that sux, it's time consuming, oh well, if it'll solve the problem i guess i have to do it. Thanks for you help.

Oh, 1 last question. I have broken my big intro into smaller one's. And i used that code, loadmovieNUM code to load them into my movie. I already have a preloader at the beginging, how can i preload all of my next movies. I mean...so my small movie #1 is playing, while it is playing, is it possible to preload the second one? I guess i don't need a preloader bar.

Where do you plan to have the code that starts the externally loaded swf? Button frame or? When should it start? Last frame of the first movie?

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog

oh, you know the file i attached at the beginging of this thread? well...i will break up that big movie into like 4 smaller one's and have them load into a frame. Sure, last frame of the first movie i guess. Now, the prelaoder i already, that's just for the first movie right?

I have attached the .fla that i am loading my external .swf's in, did i do it right?

Can you make it preload?

oh srry, i forgot to attach the file