dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How big before adding a pre-loader?

Hybrid View

How big before adding a pre-loader?

I've been away from Flash for a while- now I'm back I guess. I'm building an interface. I'm wondering at what point should I consider adding a pre-loader. I mean - How many KB in size before I add one, assuming an average mix of broadband and modem users. Thanks.

Banned
    I'd say anything over 100kbs.

Thanks, oldnewbie. Good to see that you're still here.

Banned
    Yep! And I'm still pushing your fabulous sound tutorial, whenever I can!
    I'd add to it, and correct some stuff, but as it is, it remains one of the best I've ever seen!

Wow, coming from you, that's a wonderful compliment. Maybe now that I'm getting back to Flash I can make some corrections and improvements to it.

I would put a pre-loader on anything, cant do any harm can it? For peeps with really slow conections even 100kb can take a minute or two and its nice to see the page is doing something.

-Adam-

You can't go by file size. Every swf streams differently, based on what types of instances are in it, and how they're distributed on the timeline. Do you need to slap a preloader on a 20K menu? Probably not, so just use your best judgement, or mine:

1.) Choose your target bandwith.

2.) Run test movie with show streaming set to your target bandwith.

3.) Load a few Kb more than where the movie first chokes.

4.) Repeat steps 1 -3, updating the # of Kb you load to, until it plays with show streaming set to your target bandwith without choking.

I can't stand it when people do a cheap preloader that compares getBytesLoaded() against getBytesTotal(), you don't need to buffer the whole swf in every case.

Bandwidth profiler, your best friend. Love it, cherish it.
    Last edited by PAlexC; 03-18-2004 at 08:21 PM.

"I can't stand it when people do a cheap preloader that compares getBytesLoaded() against getBytesTotal(), you don't need to buffer the whole swf in every case."

ahaha- Well, that's what I just used. I've been out of the game for a while. Can you point me to a good tutorial on better preloaders? Thanks.

Banned
    I'll respect PAlexC's opinion but will disagree with him...

More and more people are on fast connections (doubt there's any lower connections than 56k left nowadays...), and with the more and more use of components, attached movie clips and/or sounds, going through his process on each new movie amounts to a lot of work, just to spare a few seconds of preloading on fast connected users. As for modem connected users, in my experience, the movie can rarely be started to play until it's at least 80% to 90% preloaded, so again if they've been waiting for 3 1/2 minutes, it's not 30 or so seconds more that will turn them away.
    I would just find the best script you can, and preload the whole thing, and spend more time on the creative aspect of your movies, rather than trying to spare a few seconds of preloading time.

May I suggest my own...

http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=375161

Thanks, oldnewbie, I'll study that today.