A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rivend.com :: Corporate Portfolio

Rivend.com :: Corporate Portfolio

[ www.rivend.com ]

Site launched yesterday, no more countdown, directly takes you to the splash.

Would love some constructive critisicm on the site, as well as any problems you may encounter, including broken images, links, slow load time, no background, etc.

eveningtidemusic.com tristankelley's Avatar
    Nice graphics and intro.

Don't like the navigation. If you click on 'contact' you have to click on 'main' again in order to go to 'about us' and so on...

The main text sections are hard to read as well, dont like the font.

nice movement

I love the animation and colors

but the text is killing me... it took me quite a while to read the about text.

I agree about the navigation, adds an unnecessary step.

cheers
    systematically sparatic,
    my rhymes come automatic

I had to scroll, hate that
    I like the narrow design but had to scroll up and down to see page (1024x768)

Have cable modem and still stared at a blank opening for a tic.

The text is too hard to read, pretty, but form is not following function here.

The intro music is OBNOXIOUS!

The music on the other screen seems better suited.

The site lookes pretty. Nice graphics and general design.
    Roxanne
    King's Court Productions
    Swish2 2003.05.20

Thanks for the quick replies.

@Rox: You had to scroll? Thats odd, I designed this specifically so it would fit 1024x768 and up without scrolling. What browser are you on?

The music is cradle of filth(credited in splash); and I aint changing it.

The blank screen is a little bug in the preloader having to do with only 2 frames in the movie...yet to be fixed.

@kelley: Thanks. The reason behind the navigation was to reuse space used for the main buttons. If you click the about button, you will notice that the portfolio and company buttons are now in place of the main buttons. The design is already set, and there isnt really a space to put the new buttons in.

@websta: Right-o, the text is a bit hard to read. Just for the sake of design really, soon to be changed.

I was looking forward to this site but I was let down pretty hard.

1: Everything is extremely washed out and it bugs the heck out of me

2: The nav text is poor, also I hate mysterie meat navigation.

3: The body text needs work. That font is extremely hard to read and really doesn't fit the design at all. I also didn't like how I had to wait for the whole thing to "type out" the text.

The layout is ok, but leaves much to be desired. Nothing really special at all, I hate to say. I was really expecting something nice but everything looks sorta slapped together.
    It must be obvious day at camp stupid

Everything being washed out was the main theme to the site.

Anything else besides text?...I see this point repeated throughout posts.

One more thing,

I dont think theres ever any reason to only show the menu on mouse over.

I would strongly suggest showing the user the menu item names by default.

and again... shouldn't have to step back up to get to contact

...me likes the main bg image

brandon
    systematically sparatic,
    my rhymes come automatic

damn thats strange. very strange your music def sets the mood. there is nothing there, but if there was, id stay there just out of curiousity. i like all of the animations.. i like the fancy text, but i cant read it. if i were judge u just on style you'd get points for creativity, but as far as the functionality and it actually being made as a corporate portfolio? i dont know. i didnt like having to guess how to navigate your site, but a couple small yet, key changes, and function could match style.

oh yea and as strange as the intro music is, it really matches the theme, so keep it
    i love you..

~dl coming soon

latest work, my only flash work so far..
    http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...hreadid=538337

okay that is better, didn't have to scroll!

Loaded better too!

To me the music is a bit twilight zony.

I agree that on the contact screen the navs should stay at the bottom, and maybe incorporate the send button higher up on the page.

I like the site, something about it is compelling, but the music and the choice of graphic seem eclectic while the styling and colors of the site seems dainty. Something doesn't seem to fit together but maybe the clash is what you are shooting for.

Nice effect of the wash out!
    Roxanne
    King's Court Productions
    Swish2 2003.05.20

Hey again folks.

Thanks for the kind words and mostly, the crits. Seems that most people were having trouble with the Text, Music, and the Navigation bar. Fixed the first two, might come up with a different interface for the Nav bar later. As for now, enjoy the site: Look in the portfolio, there are a few of my works in there as well - most clickable.

One more thing.

I've been re-reading some of your comments and getting emails, anonymous and not, about the design. Some things, in emails and here, are addressed as crits, but dont have any substantial backing to them. Now, dont get me wrong, if I love anything about my work, its a way to make it better, but I dont appreciate non-constructive negative comments towards the website.

sk8krog.::
    Everything is extremely washed out and it bugs the heck out of me
    Ok. How? Being 'washed out' is more of a grunge theme, its a suite to the website, how is it a flaw?

The layout is ok, but leaves much to be desired. Nothing really special at all, I hate to say.
    very strange your music def sets the mood. there is nothing there, but if there was, id stay there just out of curiousity
    Well, you see, its simple, not incomplete. Its just an about section, portfolio, and a contact PHP form. Nothing else there, nothing else I need. Links to my work are there, as is what I've done. Updates and the rest will come in Hobort, a second part to the website, Summer.

Like I said, new text, changed music. Any other crits to the site? Highly appreciated as long as they hold support.

Yours,
    Fospher

I love sites with originality, love the grunge look.

The masked photo transition is ingenious, I love it.

I think your text scroller sucks compared to what you've done with the rest of the site. minimize the actual scroller to fit the site and make the scrolled text a better font.

also, not a fan of how the navigation functionality works. I don't like how it switches on me, I like things to be as they always are, or in a way let me know that its changed. I didn't know you even had a portfolio till I mistakenly clicked on it trying for the other section.
    Last edited by Kac; 03-25-2004 at 03:14 AM.

hmmm..

What a stupid size. Sorry, but what's the point in making it that shape - please justify it from a design and usability point of view. Another example of form over function...?

Navigation is pretty poor as mentioned. Animation etc and general look is really quite nice, but the colours range from washed out shades to horrendous clashes (dark grey text on maroon bground is pretty terrible).

Needs a bit more work on the usability - which is the most important part of good design.
    Last edited by Gerb (UK); 03-25-2004 at 06:07 AM.

intersting simple design to the point too I liked the colour schemes of shades of purple..most business go after other colours

Looking good Mr. fos, one thing tho, wheres the whale??

I think your text scroller sucks compared to what you've done with the rest of the site. minimize the actual scroller to fit the site and make the scrolled text a better font.
    Good catch Kac, thanks for the suggestion.

What a stupid size. Sorry, but what's the point in making it that shape - please justify it from a design and usability point of view. Another example of form over function...?
    Um, what? Stupid shape? Its compatible with 1024x768++, holds everything I need, and shape? Its just a rectangle, not really anything obscure like a diamond or a circle. How is form over function relevant to it's size? Why would I need to make it any bigger? I dont have anything to put in the extra space. Not quite understanding you man...

@navigation comments: it stays guys, please no more comments on it.

whale, phreak-o? utterly confused about that comment.

Thanks for the crits and comments, keep em comin', Im listening.

I actually really like the site. Again, the only things I can see is the text is a little hard to read, and on the navbar, when you hover over the text it becomes unreadable. That is to say that the color that fades in is so similar to the text on the button that I can't see what button I'm on anymore.

Overall though, excellent site!

Originally posted by fospher.com

whale, phreak-o? utterly confused about that comment.
    U had a jumping whale on the old fospher.com right? not the soldier u have now, or is my mind playing games with me?. . . . .again. . .

...Oh, that was the shark. By popular demand, I think I'll return it.

Changes:
    • scrollbar(changed), thanks mr Kac.
      text(bolded out links to spot them easier)
      contact section(easier to read now)

@daVulf:: Yeah, the text is unreadable. Its tinted to 100%, so its physically(...in a virtual existence) it is impossible to read it. Maybe I'll change the Nav someday, but until I figure out a new interface, this is gonna bug site checkers till the end of days.

@Mike: Thanks for the kind words. I tried my best to pick out a unique color scheme.

Yours,
    Fospher
    www.Rivend.com