dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 2nd posting - Flash Project or ColdFusion? Help Newbie

2nd posting - Flash Project or ColdFusion? Help Newbie

Flash Project – Good Start ?
    Hi,

I have this CD-distributed Flash Database to create which only uses the stand-alone Flash Player (no HTML). It consists of 3000 images (thumbnail and larger). The structure consists of 6 major groups. Under each group, 6 submenu and under these submenu, 3 more.

I have made each document with a page (call it for example, 60021.fla). In this page, I have placed on the left an MC which will call the image file (let’s call it 60021_image) and on the right, its description – another MC, (let’s call it 60021_description). So basically, I have this template page that I reuse as I create the document’s page. Of course, this is very tedious as I have to first create the image portion (the 60021_image) – then the description page (it’s almost always the same so, no time necessary, really). Then I create the main document.

All of these documents are then called in as the user navigates in the menus and submenus. The request is then displayed in the main display area. This area has on the top and left the menus that call in the request from the user.

Am I doing this right or am I really making this project way too complicated for nothing. Would it be better with coldFusion?

Thanks for any input.

:-)

Luke
    Live for the moment (not in frames!)

Sounds like you should load in the images and text dynamically into ONE default flash file ( as Flash can load .jpg images directly into a empty movieclip, for example ( for ease of placement ) ).

Text can also be loaded with the loadVariables() action.

I may been missing something in your post, but it seems you would save yourself from a lot of work making some parts dynamic.

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog
    http://talesofthepixel.blogspot.com

Thanks Pelle, how would you go doing that? Is using Flash exclusively the way to go or do I have to use another software?

When you say dynamically, are you refering by using XML or something?

Can you give me an example of how to accomplish this? THAT would greatly be appreciated...

Many thanks,

Luke

As I see it Flash can do it all.Its mostly when you have to write to a textfile you need external scripts.

By dynaically I mean that ONE flash file could be used to display all images and texts depending on what actions you use to load them.
    I can give you some of the basics first on loading external files ( its the same loading code for jpg images, you just change the .swf to .jpg )

There are two ways of loading external files into Flash. Either you can load swf files into _levels or into movieclip targets.

_levels only exist in the Flash player. They are like layers but for swf files The Flash player is like a overhead projector where the plastic films you put on top of each other are like the swf files in the player. There are 16000 available levels

//To load a external swf into a _level from a button. The number 1 being the level to load into.

on(release){
    loadMovieNum("myExternalFile.swf",1);
    }

Movieclip targets are what it sounds like. A empty movieclip placed on the stage just for the purpose of loading a swf file into it. The advantage is that you can place it anywhere, manually ( as opposed to swf's in _levels) and also can control what of the objects should be on top or beneath.

Usually you give the movieclip an instance name of container.

//To load a external swf into a target movieclip from a button ( both being on the main timeline ).

on(release){
    container.loadMovie("myExternalFile.swf");
    }

Note that the external files top left corner will load at the center of the empty movieclip.

// heres some basic basic on how to load text fro a textfile......

// LOAD TEXT

If you have a textfield ( dynamic) with the variable name of news in your main timeline you can write this in a textfile called news.txt

news=This is the news&

To load the textfile have this in the first frame.

this.loadVariables("news.txt");

..and youll see the text appearing in the textfield.

This will probaly make some questions pop up to customize it for your application, so just ask away, we'll take it in bits an pieces.

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog

WOW ! Thanks for your input! I will try what you said. Specifically for the text loading and get back to you.

Up to now, what I have created is a major movie template into which, Menu FLA are loaded into empty movie clip like you have described. So, on the left of my stage and on the top are two FLAs (menu movies) that load when my Flash is published. These menus call another sub movie which is displayed in the center, This movie contains also menus (this project calls for so many menus!), when the user clicks on one of these buttons, the images and information are then displayed in empty movie clips.

My problem is that now that this project is nearing completion, I have made some adjustments in the layout of some of the documents that call pictures into it. If I want to have a look which is the same everywhere, I need to reopen those old documents, make the modifications and resave them. I have close to 2000 documents !

Aargh !

Suggestions?

Again thanks,

Loading text -

I have made a movie with two layers

layer 1 = actions - I have placed the action script
    this.loadVariables("news.txt"); in the frame

layer 2 = I have put a dynamic text field called "news".

Then in Word, I made a text file with words, etc. then saved the document as a text file, placed this document in the same directory as the Flash file.

When I preview the Flash file, I get this error

Error opening URL "file:///C|/DOCUME%7E1/LUKEWI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/news.txt"

Why?

The textfile has to be clean, it cant use some Word formatting. maybe if you save as rtf format. Im not good with Word. I use the simplest texteditor I can find for these things, just to avoid any special formatting. Notepad should be good for this.

Normally this error message means that the file is not found. I guess the adress in the error message is the correct path to the file?
    ( note: the .fla file has to be ther too.....).

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog

Hi again,

Look at the files in my Zip file and tell me what I have done wrong. All these 3 files are in the same directory. I created a text file using the notepad. When I preview the flash file, I don't get anything anymore! No error but no text!!???

Can you tell me why?

Thanks again,

Luke
    Attached Files Attached Files

When posting you should always tell what version the fla is. Im on MX and could not open it so its probably a MX2004 file.

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog

Sorry about that - Flash MX 2004 - I will save it in Flash MX for you.

Thanks,

Luke
    Attached Files Attached Files

Textfield should have a variable name, not a instance name.

The textfile has to contain variables....
    From previus post-----

If you have a textfield ( dynamic) with the VARIABLE name of news in your main timeline you can write this in a textfile called news.txt

news=This is the news&

The & character is used to eparate variables so if you want more it could look like this....

news1=allo&news2=bonjour&news3=comment

If you want them all to appear in the textfield ( with linebreaks )

news1=allo
    bonjour
    comment

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog

Got it. Thanks for your help!

Have a nice day.

luke