A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Pixel perfect flash... trying to achieve it.

Pixel perfect flash... trying to achieve it.

Ok, here's the deal. I've created the beginnings of a portfolio for a client. I _was_ using 1 pixel thick lines (pencil tool) to outline things, and I was running into the problem of random corner pixels just disappearing, so I switched over to the (I thought) trusty method of a 1 pixel thick rectangle. I redid the whole menu interface with these rectangles as lines, and got it to pixel perfect within the embedded menu movie. Unfortunately, when I render the whole thing out to swf, those lines get a bit slimmer here and there.

I'm wondering what the heck is going on here. It's extremely frustrating to go to such lengths and not be able to get the results I'm looking for. I'm sure flash can do it. Can someone show me how, and explain why it's not working now?

My other problem is a simpler one. I have imported some text from photoshop as PNGs to use in the tabs, and they look great, until I convert them to symbols, then they corrupt enought to be annoying and unacceptable.

Can someone PLEASE take a look at the swf and fla I have put up? The web address is www.lightbulbhead.net/flash

chigasakigaijin
    Last edited by chigasakigaijin; 03-23-2004 at 07:59 PM.

Hi welcome to FK!, why are you importing pngs with the text on them, why not just type the text into flash, and export using settings so it embeds the fonts used ?

every image you import makes the final export of the swf file bigger

bp

Why imported PNGs

My client did a mockup in Photoshop the he liked, which used the font Verdana with a Smooth Anti-alias setting. Those different anti-alias settings are not available in flash, so I figured a transparent PNG would give him exactly what he wanted, and it does...until I convert them to symbols.

And, yeah, I've shown him the text as Flash makes it and he thinks it's too thin, so if I can make the PNGs work, we'll both be happy.

Any advice?

Hi, i have looked at it twice now and the buttons look ok to me, all i can think of is import the pngs on a black background, rather than using a transparent ones, mb thats making a difference.

If you still find no answer to the problem i'll copy this thread to the general forum (lots more ppl will see it)

let me know
    bp

heres a screenie of what i see

bp

PNGs

I need the transparent bg because of the background computer image. Even in your screens you can see the way the font is sort of corrupted on the internet button. It's the only one that I turned into a symbol. I also need them as symbols so I can fade them in.

Any suggestions about the thinning of button sides I mentioned?

Maybe this should go to the general forum...

Thanks for your time!

chigasakigaijin

copying now

bp

Try going into your FLASH Library and select (one at a time) each of the imported PNG's containing your text. Right click on the image, and from the drop down box select "Properties". In the properties pannel UNSELECT "allow smoothing". If I've imported an image containing text, this is a step I always perform as it seems to have an fairly decent impact on clarity.