dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: This was way cool!!!

This was way cool!!!

I saw something that was just freaking amazing to me and I would like to know how it is done or if there is a tutorial on it. I think it has to do with setting layers and transparency, but I am not sure. Anyhow, I was visiting this site that had a banner at the top for nike shoes (or something like that) and it was a regular banner size (468x60) and made in flash. Well, as I was reading the page, out of nowhere a huge "shoe" was floating in front of me dancing like a flying saucer...then after about 5-10 seconds of floating around to get my attention fully focused on it, it flys into the banner where it becomes static and part of the banner itself. Man, what a great effect that was.

My question is simply: HOW??? Take note, I am not a master at Flash, but rather just a casual user and I am definatley not a actionscript expert...but, I learn quick if someone could lay out how this is done or point me to a tutorial on this. Yes...I am begging...lol

peace out,
    daddy

link?

Well, I actually saw it about 2-3 months ago at nba.com. As I said, I am a quick learner so I have been reading everywhere to try to figure this out and "think" I might have it...maybe??? LOL

Anyhow. here is what I think does the trick and I will refer to what I saw as an example (the shoe floating ad). First, I would import a transparent image of the shoe into flash. Then I need to set the stage to the size of everything I want "viewable" in a layer on my webpage. Since the banner is 468x60, I would probably set the stage to 500 in length and let's say 600 in width (to accomodate the floating effect in the middle of the page). Then I would design my banner in flash at the top of my movie. Then in a new layer, tween the shoe into the clip scaled at a large size, and then tween it to give the floating effect. After about 5-10 seconds of the floating, I would then tween it into the banner and also scale it down to fit. Then when I publish the movie, I set the transparent mode. when all is said and done, I should be able to put my movie in a layer on the html page, position it exactly, and have the webpage material viewable through the flash movies background since it is transparent.

Well folks...am I close??? Still asking for help, but that's what I kind of have in mind. Thanks again.

peace out,
    daddy

are you saying that the shoe floats over an html page then rests on the flash banner at the top of the page?

Originally posted by mal pacino
    are you saying that the shoe floats over an html page then rests on the flash banner at the top of the page?
    Yes...that is exactly what it does.

peace out,
    daddy

Daddy,

No idea mate but it's an interesting thought. never seen this done before to be honest.

look up z-indexing somewhere... it's not that hard
    "what the hell's a tween?"

There are some 3rd party programs that will create it for you.

The other way is to create a Flash movie and put it into an HTML layer on your web page.

Make the layer as large as it needs to be and then the movie can play on the layer giving the effect you are looking for.

I see it everywhere.

This is floading media in online advertising term.

I tried searching for information about it in vain.
    Seems like a close guarded secret among the media creators.

This is covered all over FlashKit. You can set it in your Publish settings to make the background transparent. Essentially all you have to do is this:

< embed src="mymovie.swf" wmode="transparent" height="100" width="100" >

The "wmode" is what makes the Flash background transparent. Then you just need to use CSS to position the Flash movie on top of HTML content.

Its not as simple as that.
    There is some really heavy DHTML work if you want to make it really nice. Check out the codes on pages that has these effects......you will be surprised how complex it is.

No it isn't - it depends how efficient your code is!