A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: trace() action not working?

trace() action not working?

Allright, I posted a week or so ago and couldn't get it working then either. Since then I've replaced my hard drive and operating system and upgraded to MX 2004. The d@mn thing still dont work.

The "omit trace actions" is not checked.
    Even a simple trace("hello"); in a otherwise entirely blank document wont work. I've attached a test file.

What the heck is my problem? Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Save it in Flash MX format and I'll look at it.

okay, I'm warning you this is probably something really dumb, knowing me. But here it is in MX format.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Between Flash & Flashkit timothye's Avatar
    it works for me .. sorry to butt in here ..
    have you installed the latest flash player ..then restart your computer ..

get it here ->http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/...ShockwaveFlash
    I want to learn .
    wannabe flasher [ Actionscript 2.0 ]

yup, reinstalled it to maked sure. gosh, I think I've been cursed.

Between Flash & Flashkit timothye's Avatar
    yes , i dont know what this could be ... it happened to me 1 time . but all i did was reinstall the flash player turn off the computer and start it up again .. if i remember correctly that tdoing just a restart didnt work , but turning it off and cleanbooting up to the system worked .. try it if you havent already ...
    cheers
    I want to learn .
    wannabe flasher [ Actionscript 2.0 ]

Eternally Junior Member
    I also have this problem once in a while - it seems to me to be a corruption of the .fla file because when I copy the frames and paste them into a new document, the trace function works as normal again - I don't know if you've tried this.

It's not a very satisfactory solution, I'd like to know a better way to avoid it, but I've not come across any other references to it on this forum or anywhere else. I'm still using Flash MX by the way, and I think this used to happen in version 5 too.

Eternally Junior Member

without trace

Has anyone solved this one yet? Is it a recognised bug? It just happened to me again, thankfully on a fairly simple movie - I copied the frames and the library into a new file, and the trace magically returned. So it's back, but I'm one step nearer being pushed over the edge...

Good gravy, I thought I was going insane! Trace isn't working! I hope the re-install works.

Whoa... still not working!

I've even tried creating a new bare bones movie... it's just the AS for a trace test. And still no dice.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Eternally Junior Member
    I've been working on a project with multiple movies loading into levels of the first movie. Although the 'Omit Trace actions' checkbox in the 'Export Flash Player' window has been mentioned continually as a possible solution to this problem, what I didn't realise was that the options you select in this window are saved and unique to each .fla, not set for Flash in general (like the colour of the paint bucket for instance). I was turning 'Omit Trace actions' on and off for the movie at _level0 and expecting a trace() in the movie at _level1 to be affected, which it wasn't. A simple mistake, but this was the solution for me.