dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: how is this done?

Richard Friscuolo

how is this done?

Hello!

Anyone know what software is used to do the animation of the bloke getting up out of his chair on the home page of this site?

www.ralphcapper.com

It looks too smooth for it to just be Flash, is it Swift 3D?

cheers!

:O)

That looks like it's real video footage traced frame by frame.

/Flip.
    Flipsideguy

yah, looks like someone took some video and traced it in a vector program.

Yes, wasn't there a feature to do that in adobe's streamline?

About the site. It looked good alltho the effect wasn't worth the 20 second dload time here on ADSL.

The guy pushing the text on top is blatantly ripped from http://www.habitat.net

A technique I've seen that achieves this look is to take your video, select the segment you're interested in and convert into still images then import into Photoshop. In Photoshop adjust the image "Threshold" to achieve a high contrast look. Save this series of images and import into FLASH. From this point, if you so choose, you can select the "Trace Bitmap" option which will yield you a vector representation that will then allow you to delete any information you don't want; i.e. the BG, easily.

Actually I was talking about this technique but it's rather timeconsuming if you ask me.

http://www.actionscripts.org/tutoria...on/index.shtml

Originally posted by hothousegraphix
    A technique I've seen that achieves this look is to take your video, select the segment you're interested in and convert into still images then import into Photoshop. In Photoshop adjust the image "Threshold" to achieve a high contrast look. Save this series of images and import into FLASH. From this point, if you so choose, you can select the "Trace Bitmap" option which will yield you a vector representation that will then allow you to delete any information you don't want; i.e. the BG, easily.
    That's pretty much exactly how it's acomplished. There was an entire chapter in the Hillman Curtis's "Flash Web Design: The Art of Motion Graphics" that detailed it farily well. The books a bit outdated though (it's a Flash 5 book) but technique is probably very similar.

Here's a URL that should take you to a page that shows you the project that was highlighted ... chapter 6: video into vectors. http://www.hillmancurtis.com/hc_web/...b_design.shtml

One thing you want to make sure you do is to shoot your initial short film segment in high contrast. have your actor wear dark clothing and use a contrasting background as well as other objects that you don't want to animate. For instance in the sample you posted you could probably drape a white sheet over a chair, against a white wall, and have your "actor" wear dark colors (you can create and animate the chair in flash later). Then take it to photoshop where is should be easier to adjust the threshold to where you want, and then into flash to trace it frame by frame. It should eliminate having to edit each frame too much in flash. You probably only need to trace a few frames per second of film ... maybe 8-12 or so (as opposed to 24 or more ... depending on how you record your initial video). Hope that helps ...