A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: April 2004 Arena Contest :: What do you want/Vintage

I should be able to put mine together later today at some point.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

Just a little update...I'm smack in the middle of doing the critiques right now and should have something posted before too long. (This means a few hours for anyone who is wondering)

I've also come up with a reasonably clear (I hope) rating system so everyone will better understand how their pieces are being judged.

I just wanted to let people know I hadn't forgotten about this.
    mrush

I've been caught unaware with some troubling situations here on my side. I'll get mine out tomorrow as well

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

slackers

go ahead ... delete me please

clicky you chump, where's your entry, eh?

Fruitloops (1): ok, you have problems coloring within the lines. you seem to be wearing either a wooden jacket or a pimp jacket - I'm going with the latter - and you like 1980's gaming... but this image I just love. the text supports all of the above. 8 out of 10.

Fruitloops (2): this dark, almost disturbing piece had me searching for the sums of it's parts... and I didn't come up with much. the textures, per usual, are great, but the concept just doesn't "gel" with me. 4.5 out of 10.

wouter999: the vector simplicity, tight color palette, and easy to read verbiage - btw, I thought it was Cristal, not "crystal" - but something about it... I just can not connect with. Not saying it doesn't have artistic merit, it does by the ton. But I think I was looking for a bit more. 6.5 out of 10.

j_hunter182: Awesome use of color, font, message, placement... composition is not perfect, but it's still damn nice. I like this one big time. heck, I almost pulled out some Sinatra to celebrate with this image. and heck, it's even using the same greyscale color palette that I'm really starting to hate - desaturation is evil and annoying - but the warm grey adds to this piece. 8.5 out of 10.

SN4K3: it's big, it's bold, and it's clear. I'm just not a fan of the composition, but I like the message(s). but I will say mixing the styles is where you lose some points... the frame around the trees (nice image, btw) is creative, and great, very organic. then it turns into straight lines and squares at the bottom, bringing a "tech" style with it. It just doesn't seem to mix to me, at least. 5 out of 10.

RUSHVision (1): Amazing texture, color, and message. Layout and tension is great too. I will say that I do find it almost amusing that you're writing with what looks like a Wacom tablet pen though 9 out of 10.

RUSHVision (2): This one, the colors are great, but the intensity of the message and it's layout seems to be a bit lost, imho. Not one part sticks out, my eyes (using a quick scan method) continuously go back to the moon, which is at the top of the image, and not allowing my eyes to naturally fall down to the message is a bad thing. But that's just me. There's nothing technically wrong with it, I just feel like the focus is not strong with this one. 5 out of 10.

BlueSamurai(1): I want this for my desktop. Amazing colors, and I instantly felt like I was watching some old movie waiting on the people to walk the dock, wave, and catch some huge fish... it's a window to the past. If anything, you captured what I couldn't even imagine in the concept of "vintage"... amazing work. 9.5 out of 10.

BlueSamurai(2): Okay... it doesn't get more bold than this... "VINTAGE". well damn. you don't say The postage mark is a great touch, but overall, I find this image lacking. It's sure giving me the feeling of something old, but the almost dreamy, blurry green up top seems more akin to algae than anything else. Nothing technical wrong with the image, but it's just missing "something"... 6 out of 10.

ondraedan(1): Great muted colors that make the blue eye pop out, great use of type for a bold message, and great micro-textures. only complaint - yeah, I gotta nitpick with this - is that I don't normally like all-caps. I think I have a mental incapacity to read them... but your image may be my road to overcoming this. The eye area does have a bit of contrast issue - upper part of the eye starts to show the coloration, and I can almost see your selection whilst on the calibrated LCD, but not when I'm on the CRT - but all in all, cool, dramatic image. 7 out of 10.

ondraedan(2): ooh... psycho dark-faced hula dolls that wish to not be forgotten... sounds like the next summers thriller! per usual, great texture, layout, and imagery. I don't like the fonts though. But that's a personal choice, not a "judgement" one. now, if I could only find my dashboard hula girl, we'll be all ok. cool image, but not something that pops out at me. 6 out of 10.

nayades: I'm going to call all three the "patchwork grumpy old man series"... yeah, wrong size, et al... but they captured my attention. You don't like playing by the rules... must be that ego I can say that the final, correct sized one has a very nice color palette, but I can't get past the texture. It just doesn't seem to bring the image into the same role as your verbiage. It does, however, still support (somewhat) what you're saying. I just can't say I'm a fan of the font and texture though... but I did enjoy it. 6 out of 10.

creativeinsomnia: lovely. great masking on the hair, and blending of objects into one coherent image. This whole image supports your message and intent. I will say that I thought that the guy at the bottom was a bit too bright initially, but it does draw my eyes downward. not much more to say other than I really like this image. 7.5 out of 10.

slynax999: bold verbiage, yet I can't help but notice the overt usage of plugins, and the overall contrast problems - they both seem to take the focus off the image, and obscure the hands and overall image. 5 out of 10.

fearless: I'm going to call this one a modern day "where's waldo?"... but it's fearless we're hunting. without really spoiling too much, just allow me to say... this image, I LIKE! the implicit text, the image, the texture - a bit too much honestly on the text though. I like how you put yourself into the image - you could have added a slight shadow under you though... that would have rounded out the "small details" - but you have to be careful... you have two guys checking you out. 8.5 out of 10.

fiddlestick5: I mean, yeah, I can read the "I want to survive", but I want to concentrate on the MacOSX like dock that encircles the gasmask... that's a gadget I really want! The imagery, rather apocalyptic at that, enforces the statement of that you want to survive. I want to point out some masking issues around the gas mask - it's too blurry, not sharp like the rest of the imagery - but the rest of the imagery supports a future I want no part in. Just some color on the pill on the dock o' doom around the gasmask would have added to the final touches. Overall, I love the concept though. And I want that gadget! 6.5 out of 10.

The winner, out of my pick, is BlueSamurai's first image... congrats man. You've won my vote

Thanks for taking the time to provide magnificent comments on all our images, Gerbies.
    Last edited by Fruitloops; 05-28-2004 at 09:24 PM.

Off during Summer

Good choice!

Love it!!
    You know you're a Flash addict when you start looking at everything around you and say, 'I bet I could do that in Flash"....Keith Peters

March 2004 Arena Contest::Who are you?
    Critiques

Some thoughts about my scoring criteria just to give you guys an idea of what I'm thinking when I give an image a particular rating. First off, let me say that I'm reserving the 9's and 10's for the ones that truly stand out as being exceptional. A rating of 5 to me is an 'average' score. This is by no means a failure. It reflects what I perceive to be a 'normal' level of success. Anything below this is 'substandard' in my opinion, however. Below is a breakdown of the ratings and their equivalent indications of success.

It is important to remember that these scores reflect only this judge's perception of the submitted work, not the actual skills of the artist. There are many factors that play a part in making an image good or better than good, with time and effort being a couple of the most powerful. So if I happen to give your image a low rating it doesn't mean that I think you suck, it just means that the particular image you submitted fell subject to the criteria listed below as perceived by me.

Rating System:

1 - Very poor. Skills need much improvement.
    2 - Well below average. Buck up, soldier! Back to training!
    3 - Image likely in serious need of reassessment or redesign.
    4 - Slightly below average. A little more refinement and you'll have something.
    5 - An average score respresenting the 'norm'. Nothing to be ashamed of!
    6 - Beginning to rise above the pack. We've got some bright promise showing, here.
    7 - Exhibiting advanced skills in image manipulation and typography.
    8 - Well above average. You are taking the individual skills you have learned and using them synergistically.
    9 - Typography, image manip, and artistic expression brought to a high level of refinement.
    10 - Exceptional on every level. This is professional quality work.

Fruitloops
    Entry 1
    Rating: 7
    Commentary:
    I thought this one was pretty good. The statements made by the artist nicely compliment the chosen drawing style. The simplicity of the message actually gives the image a great deal of depth, allowing for a broad interpretation of the artist's exact meaning. One could speculate that the artist himself does not know exactly how he wants to be different, only that he is compelled to stand out from the crowd in some unique fashion.

Entry 2
    Commentary:
    The second entry by this artist yields another interesting insight into the mind of the creator. The opinion of this judge that the artist has not yet found his own personal path is strengthened by this additional glimpse into the artist's perceptions. The Picasso-esque treatment of the face serves to well describe the message of 'wanting the pieces to fit'.

wouter999
    Rating: 5
    Commentary:
    This is a decent image with a clear message. It also has a reasonably good flow, leading the eye first to the text and then off into the distance along the line of the birds. I think this image could be improved though, by refining the typography and the size/placement of the birds. The birds could be larger on the bottom and smaller on the top, lending a greater sense of receeding distance. The background is cool, as are the birds, but I'm not seeing much of a connection between any of the elements. I'm sure the connection is there in the mind of the artist, but it should be a little easier for the viewer to connect the dots.

j_hunter182
    Commentary:
    I like this image. It's got just what it says...style. The lack of color suits the time period being depicted, as does the choice of font. This image would work well for an ad becuase it has plenty of space to add copy, but I'm finding it borders on being a little too simple.

SN4K3
    Rating: 3
    Commentary:
    I already made some thorough comments about this image prior to the contest ending, and since it hasn't changed I am simply going to refer to the results of my earlier assessment and suggestions for improvement.

BlueSamurai
    Entry 1
    Commentary:
    This is a cool image, I have to say that. It looks good, it's got a nice texture going, and I like the color tones. It really makes the viewer wonder however, exactly what the artist is trying to convey. The question 'What do you want?' is implied in the title of the contest, but the question remains as to what it is that the artist actually wants. Does he want a peaceful place that looks out over the water? Does he like to fish and this is his favorite spot? Does he want to take a long walk off a short pier, and this is just a subtle way of asking for help? Not entirely sure in this case. And this is all based on the unfounded assumption that this image addresses the question of what the artist wants and is not simply an image done in a 'vintage' style. Either way, the image gets above average marks, but fails to score higher due to the aforementioned ambiquity.

Entry 2
    Rating: 6
    Commentary:
    This is a good image done in the grunge style. It's got all the right elements, I'm finding it lacking in overall image interest, however. It doesn't make me want to get lost in it, looking for additional details or hidden meaning. Nothing wrong with it, but it's also not hammering me with greatness.

ondraedan
    Entry 1
    Rating: 8
    Commentary:
    I like the even, subdued tones and the subtle background texture in this image. It contrasts quite nicely with the color in the iris. The typography and message also match the image content well. A fairly simple, but solid piece of work. Nicely done.

Entry 2
    Rating: 8
    Commentary:
    A slightly haunting visual paired with a somewhat hopeful message in this one. I find that this makes for a pleasing contrast. The stylized pattern compliments both the era of the doll and the overall tone of the image. The effect of the doll seeming to look back at you as she turns to leave works perfectly to give the impression that she is on the way out, but still lingers in the mind.

nayades
    Commentary:
    Wierd, disjointed, disturbing...these words oddly describe what seems like a strangely contented figure. An interesting contradiction at the very least. It looks like there is a face in there, and it looks like it has an odd smile on it's face. Yet at the same time the presentation is one of both chaos and order. It's hard to tell where the chaos ends and the order begins, and this is part of the image's appeal. I get the impression of a man at peace with the constance of change that lies at the heart of our growth as human beings. A good path for one so young.

creativeinsomnia
    Commentary:
    This image has a good feeling to it. It's smoothly executed and simply presented. The artist gets his message across with a minimum of fuss or effort.

slynax999
    Rating: 4
    Commentary:
    I liked the concept behind this image, but I found the execution somewhat lacking. To me, the image has a rather 'filtered' appearance. I would also like to see some more depth and/or texture in the background.

bianster
    Commentary:
    This image is a pretty good effort. The typography is decent. I'm getting a very strong 'family photo' vibe, but though I can't find much to fault in the exectution, I'm still not really 'wowed' by the overall image. You can see at the top of the girl's face on the left side where the background starts to come into the face a little bit. I would like to see a little more of that happening. Right now, though the colors are a good match, the left and right sides of the image could be brought together more cohesively. Well done for a first post.

Fearless
    Commentary:
    There is a lot going on, here. I like the way the text is arranged on the bottom and how it is worked into the various structural elements of the building. My only criticism is that I would like to see more contrast or perhaps a different treatment of the contrast between the person that is supposed to stand out and those that are not. I think I would also have placed the person in the center underneath the layer that has the scan lines so as to get it to better fit in with the rest of the image. I know the purpose is to get him to stand out, but I have to say I think it would improve the image if he were to stand out in a different way, if that makes sense. I think I would have done my best to make the person in the center look as if it were part of the original image, then do something like cut out the rest of the people, place them on a separate layer, then desaturate them or give them whatever other graphical treatment you desired, to de-emphasize them and get the guy in the center to stand out that way. A good concept, but I think it could have been refined a little more.

fiddlestick5
    Rating: 4
    Commentary:
    This one could have used some more work, in my opinion. The elements seem a little thrown together and the image lacks overall cohesion as a result. It's a good start, but I think a lot more could have been done with this image to better convey the artist's message.

Ok, so it seems that ondraedon has come out on top in this judge's opinion.

I'm not too sure how the 'actual' winner might be resolved since there are only two judges and according to gerbick BlueSamurai took the belt. I don't know if we want to set up a poll, get a third judge in on this, or just say everyone did great and call it a day. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by RUSHVision; 06-04-2004 at 02:15 PM.
    mrush

tally up our scores for king tub o' gnome and bluesamurai... and then the one with the greatest number, wins.

I think that's fair.

and why didn't I see bianster's volley?

Well, ondraedan got a combined score of 29 and BlueSamurai pulled in a 28.5 if we take into account both of their submissions. It's very close...I'd be willing to call them both winners, personally.
    mrush

great critiques and a well deserved win for ondraedan.

put your left hand to your right for Gerbick and RUSHVison, cheers fellas.

Have we got any ideas for June yet gerbs?
    jh

June? I'm taking ideas already. But I have noticed that the Arena sorta slows down during the summer. I can't say that I blame them.

So, any ideas, I'm all up for it.