A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mouseovers

mouseovers

is there any way to make animated mouseovers? i want to have a button and when i do a mouseover, there is a little animation somewhere on the side. if you could explain and help. thank you.

Yes.

Hi peef2,
    Several ways to do this, actually. The easiest may be to
    1) make a movie clip with the animation you want to show on rollOver
    2) open the btn symbol that will play the clip on rollOver
    3) select the 'over' frame in the btn's timeline
    4) drag an instance of the clip from the library onto the stage where you want it to display - relative to the btn
    5) test the movie
    __azwaldo__

just 2 tell u the animation won't work if its under a button instance, make sure its a moviclip.
    Cheers!

Not quite sure, ballers_101, what you mean by "...under a button instance"... But the clip does need to be contained in the symbol. A movie clip that is inside of the over frame on the btn's timeline displays when the mouse is moved over the button.
    __azwaldo__

Re: Yes.

Originally posted by azwaldo
    Hi peef2,
    Several ways to do this, actually. The easiest may be to
    1) make a movie clip with the animation you want to show on rollOver
    2) open the btn symbol that will play the clip on rollOver
    3) select the 'over' frame in the btn's timeline
    4) drag an instance of the clip from the library onto the stage where you want it to display - relative to the btn
    5) test the movie

I just became interested in this dude's problem lol.. I want to do the same thing!!! I'm a very very n00b at this so I dont understand anything that is said up there!! I made this site so far www.uasquad.net that's as much as I know! Anyway back to the question of mine. In #1 where you said "with the animation" could that be another swf file that is used and what did you mean by the animation, what kind of animation???

i guess it is, i just tried it lol

There are a lot of different ways of having animation play on a button rollOver, even more than listed above. To answer your question, gekk0, you can have any kind of animation you want, a box spinning, a man running...whatever it is you've created, play when a button is rolled over. The problem with putting the animation in the button's Over state is that it stops when you rollOut, even if it's not finished....yes you can have another swf's animation play when you roll over a button...you can pretty much do anything you need to....so, what exactly is it you want to do? Let me know and I'll do my best to explain it to you, and I can make you up an example if you need me to

**Edit - lol, guess you figured it out while i was typing my novel

Adam

Off during Summer

i had the same problem

ok, here is a sample.....

like azwaldo and adam was saying, think of an animation you want when viewer to see when they mouse over your button.

I had the same problem buddy but that was history and I am a master at the art...:P Nevertheless....here's a sample. (i would given you my sample for the one that i did for my project but then my lecturer would see it in here then he would know who me is me...lol.) so i made a simple one for you.

just a simple one. my advice to you is learn your button and learn your movie. learn putting your movie in the 'over' button and see the effect...trust me, it's super cool
    Attached Files Attached Files
    You know you're a Flash addict when you start looking at everything around you and say, 'I bet I could do that in Flash"....Keith Peters

Originally posted by Adam14

**Edit - lol, guess you figured it out while i was typing my novel

Adam

roflmao

I have no idea how you did that lmao! How exactly do you make it a movie like you did?

I think i got the making movie part.. but the over part I cant figure out

Originally posted by gekk0
    I have no idea how you did that lmao! How exactly do you make it a movie like you did?
    Same way you would go about making any movie-clip. He just created a new movie-clip symbol, and in the mouse's over state he put that in there. You could also place the movie on the main time line and it would achieve the same effect, but youd have to add a few pieces of AS.

ok got the over part working.. but how did you make it a button without it being a button!

ok got the over part working.. but how did you make it a button without it being a button!
    The whatever IS a button. o_0

The only thing I dont like is the hit area includes the WHAT?

Off during Summer

ZAP ME!

Oh yeah, sorry...my mistake....never never do that! I defined the hit area bigger than I thought I should. Hit area should not hit your target area.
    Thanks for pointing that out.

For entertainment sake, Zap me WheatThins
    Attached Files Attached Files
    You know you're a Flash addict when you start looking at everything around you and say, 'I bet I could do that in Flash"....Keith Peters

what is all that blahblah you guys are talking about when you right click on edit.. then you edit the button.. i see up over down hit

I need more explaination of htis!

how do you define a hit area?
    Last edited by gekk0; 04-02-2004 at 05:50 PM.

what is all that blahblah you guys are talking about when you right click on edit.. then you edit the button.. i see up over down hit

I need more explaination of htis!

how do you define a hit area?
    The hit area is very basically the area the defines where you can point the mouse and the button is "ACTIVATED". If you leave it default, it will be the countours of your object. What 24 did though was add the WHAT to the HIT. So if the user rolled over THAT area the animation would start.

To be clear the HIT AREA is not visible, so you could use ANYTHING you wanted (shapes, fonts. a thin line). Try it out. In your button put different objects in the hit area and see what it does. I imagine you could even make a moving hit area if you were so inclined.

Off during Summer

Go and learn button

It is obvious that you need to learn more about buttons....

ok, here we go...

1. When you go to the library, double click on it and it will take you to the edit symbol mode.

2. You will see the up, over, down and hit. It is simply meaning that is the action of the button. Up Over is when the mouse is over. This is where you want the movie to be embedded. If you have created a movie/animation drag it from the library on top of the "over" frame. Don't worry about overlapping, it should work. You will see the little + sign. Just align to whichever area you want it to be.

3. You really don't need anything in the down, so just either insert frame or keyframe.

4. Hit area, is where you define the mouse target area. You noticed some when you mouse over some animation, the arrow cursor will turn into "hand" well that's it! You can draw a reactangle over the hit area, this way....you are sure not to miss it.

Offtopic: People should take the initiative to learn something not just because it is a cool thing to do. Also don't expect to be feed all the time.

check zap.fla. It is clear then the first one.

Roll call

I hereby nominate 24fps for creating the next FK tutorial, WHEAT THlNS as its editor, and gekk0 can do the beta-testing since his interest as a bystander leads him to jump into the fray anyway.

What ever happened to peef2?

peef2?

peef2?
    __azwaldo__

Off during Summer

good point

What ever happened to peef2?