A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: [DISC] Space Shooters or Why Does CAVE hate their players?

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar

[DISC] Space Shooters or Why Does CAVE hate their players?

If you wanted to make something like this in Flash:

How would you go about it?

We've seen a lot of space shooters in Flash, but most of them are usually based on this Flash game tutorial .

Has anyone seen anyone try an R-type, Gradius, CAVE type shooter in Flash before?

Do you even think it's possible?

I think that it is possible to do a space shooter, and it might even be possible to "fake" something like a CAVE shooter...

Things to be concerned about:
    1) Amount of sprites on screen
    2) Amount of hit detection calls
    3) Amount of objects moving around on screen

-pXw
    Last edited by WilloughbyJackson; 04-02-2004 at 03:25 PM.

hmmmm.. i guess Flash does takes up quite a large amount of resources if the sprites were to be in high quality.

As for the shooting patterns, guess might have to play around with arrays a bit... I guess

I was chatting with nGFX just the other day about this.

I think a full on R-Type clone with a load of on-screen sprites is possible in Flash.
    Ok, maybe not with parallax, but with a lot of on-screen action and a decent screen size.

It's on my to-do list

Squize.

Originally posted by Squize
    I was chatting with nGFX just the other day about this.

I think a full on R-Type clone with a load of on-screen sprites is possible in Flash.
    Ok, maybe not with parallax, but with a lot of on-screen action and a decent screen size.

It's on my to-do list

Squize.
    wow... i can't wait to see how it looks like when you're done with it.

oh well.. time to hit the books.
    and the tutorials too

2KHeroes / Sylvaniah designer luxregina's Avatar
    Originally posted by Squize
    It's on my to-do list
    Hummm...hummmm ... don't forget you also have a Sword of Death / Barbarian remake first

My to-do list is huge mate, bit of a wait yet

A game like that is totally feasable in Flash, I'm just amazed that their aren't dozens of them already.

[edit] Lux, you got in there just as I was previewing
    After all the boring stuff I've got on is done, Barbarian is happening babe [/edit]

Squize.

well, guess i'll have to start learning before i can get started.

salivating at squize's rtype project. bump it up to the top of your list mate please

i guess i should post up a demo of something that has been in my pipeline for ages (and some!) itll be interesting to hear how it runs on slower machines (not getting my hopes up). only one type of baddie in this demo and the weapons are a bit screwy.

Trinity Demo

sorry for semi hijacking the thread mr Willoughby, ill go back to the shadows now.
    Last edited by mrpauly99; 04-02-2004 at 04:25 PM.

Originally posted by mrpauly99

sorry for semi hijacking the thread mr barc, ill go back to the shadows now.
    hey, I should be the one apologising to WilloughbyJackson for hijacking his thread in the first place. Anyway, good to have people in this discussion...

If it's about space shooting games, it ain' t hijacking , mate...

This is what this thread is about!

No one has hijacked this thread so far.

Hijacking would be arguing that dating simulations are the best type of game or something like that...

-pXw

Kirill was working on an engine which would allow for lots and lots of particles on screen... exactly this type of thing, i have a link but i dont know if he would want me to post it... So ill just let him know about this thread

(needless to say, it is completly possible)

fracture2 - the sequel
    fracture - retro shooter
    blog - games, design and the rest

"2D is a format, not a limitation" -Luis Barriga

nah... dating simulations aren't my type. Thou I prefer R-type.
    hmmmm...

Wow, mrpauly99! Looks really neat...

But it's really slow on my computer

Originally posted by random10122
    Kirill was working on an engine which would allow for lots and lots of particles on screen... exactly this type of thing, i have a link but i dont know if he would want me to post it... So ill just let him know about this thread

(needless to say, it is completly possible)
    I remember something like that...maybe... (My memory isn't too good...)

I guess my question for all those interested is how much many things have you had going on the stage and how did you deal with it?

-pXw

Wow, mrpauly99! Looks really neat...

But it's really slow on my computer
    thought it would be. and this is with the particles taken out. ive stuck in a few options to change the quality and turn off the scrolling so that should help. thanks for the feedback tho mate

i really need to get myself a slower machine for testing...

Hey, do the X power ups do anything or does it mean I've been fooling around in the game too long?

-pXw

dont think so mate, its an old version so probably does nothing, sorry to disappoint.

2KHeroes / Sylvaniah designer luxregina's Avatar
    Originally posted by mrpauly99
    (...) bump it up to the top of your list mate please
    Don't listen to him, Squize !

To stay in topic, i would say that i do think, too, that this type of game is possible in Flash - of course you would have to cut some fancy effects, but the core gameplay could still be there ...

Actually, before i've been a member of this board, at the time i wasn't too ashamed of my actionscripting, i've been playing with a Galaxian remake, with new features (up and down moving+interesting features concerning extra weapons)... The main problem with the game was that the difficult curve was dramatic and that at level 3 or 4, the game was almost impossible to beat...
    i can put it back online for anyone to check - the source could be accessible too ?

random is correct. I'm trying to do something like the Espgaluda shooter. I don't mind showing it, it just doesn't have a lot of features to show off at the moment. http://www.suburbandesigns.com/tomoko See what you think. It's really involved, so I recommend you close whatever other CPU hogging applications you have running or other Flash movies.

I'm trying to make it handle large amounts of things at the same time. I made it so the bullets have their codes executed 1 bucket at a time, so that a finite amount of bullets get their work done on a frame. That way if there are too many it won't bring down the engine, although the bullets do slow down. Right now I have enemies in there that fire, but before, to see how much it can handle, I had bullet spewers shoot spirals of bullets in all directions and it ran well with all of those in the screen, as well as the girl firing 3 streams of bullets.

So far it runs ok. It takes up all the CPU time of my comp, but the frame rate is fine for me at least. There's a visible difference between the way the game runs in the browser and in the stand-alone player. The browser's Flash 7 plug-in runs it at 25 FPS mostly, rarely going to 26. The stand-alone Flash 6 player plays it at 28 FPS steady. It's kind of dissapointing, but there isn't much I can do about this. Also another thing I've noticed is on new PCs with XP or 2000 on them even with fast CPUs it runs at steady 22 FPS although the engine doesn't run slowly or anything. Not sure why it would be like that, I guess the amount of CPU time allocated to the Flash player on those computers doesn't allow it to go over 22 FPS.

The enemies in that engine get placed randomly so far. In the future they will have predetermined positions and the map won't scroll infinitely.
    Last edited by Kirill M.; 04-02-2004 at 05:31 PM.

Originally posted by Kirill M.
    [B]random is correct. I'm trying to do something like the Espgaluda shooter. I don't mind showing it, it just doesn't have a lot of features to show off at the moment. http://www.suburbandesigns.com/tomoko See what you think. It's really involved, so I recommend you close whatever other CPU hogging applications you have running or other Flash movies.
    No dude, I didn't close up the memory hogging application (i.e. Authorware and Photoshop) and it still ran pretty good on my computer. Admittedly, it was around 15 - 17 FPS, but it still looked great!

Do you have a Nihongo PS2 to play Espgaluda? (With the new more bullets mode... )

I'm trying to make it handle large amounts of things at the same time. I made it so the bullets have their codes executed 1 bucket at a time, so that a finite amount of bullets get their work done on a frame.
    Can the girl fire anything in your test? I was pressing space and nothin' happen.

Yep, I was thinking that one would have to split up the bullet calls to make sure there wasn't as much slow down. Is this 30 fps?

I enjoyed you demo greatly, and gave me much hope for the future.

-pXw