dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: An open debate about intros...

War is futile: just drink beer phooka's Avatar

resolved

A few days ago I saw a few guidelines about how an intro should be. If I am not mistaken, it was Mg33 who did bring the subject in one of Jakob Nielsen's endless threads...

One of the guidelines was: an intro should be fast. However, the intro to my own site is kinda' slow, since I do try to transmit a relaxed atmosphere b4 entering the main page. The product I do try to sell is myself, so I do want ppl to simply enjoy watching my (very limited) skillz...

Are intros a real pain, like some ppl point out? Are they superfluous? And which are the guidelines that every intro should have?

More ideas?

Regards,

Phooka, first, thanks for bringing these questions into this forum, fewer people come in here but the replys are generally more thought out than they would be if they were in the Lounge.

Anyhow, yes, I've brought up intros several times. I often bring up the way I view sites based on my studying Advertising in school-it gives me a different approach where I feel I really focus on what's neccesary and what's not.
    I feel that an intro should have a purpose-this purpose should be to give viewers a quick glimpse of your design style, and inform them as to what you're site is about. It should "get on with it" meaning- do what needs to be done, quickly, but let it have maximum impact.
    Think about this: When you see a great, jaw dropping intro, one that taps into emotions, or one that is very cutting edge, what does it foreshadow about the site? What does it allude to?
    Skill
    Interesting design style
    knowledge
    creativity
    And it also makes you think the site is going to be very cool and interesting before you've even entered it.
    When the intro has your attention, you don't want to leave, you want more, you'll wait for the site.

Take 2Advanced, for example, and the work of Eric Jordan. He's got a certain aspect for creating intros-they work, they get the point across, they build interest.
    Now, imagine 2Advanced with a boring intro with nothing but text fades-but the site itself is still the same.
    When you view the boring intro, that is your first impression of the site, and you'll find yourself thinking the site is that boring as well.

Countless times I've exited sites when the intro is dull, not thought out, and serves no purpose.
    The majority of intros I've seen in the Site Check section (not putting anyone down, remember, they're learning and we're offering ways to improve) serve no purpose whatsoever.
    Often is seems as though they're done becuase they're part of a template for a Flash site: splash page>intro preloader>intro>site preloader(if neccesary>site.

I think too many intros are created becasue people feel they must adhere to the structure above. So they go about creating intros with no point to them, no relation to the site, and generally use every text effect in the book, also make them way too long. Personaly, I loose interest in such situations very quickly.

So what should an intro be? Like I said, it should only be done if you've created a purpose for one.
    I'm working on the intro for my website, and here are the thoughts I have why I'm doing it/what it's going to do:
    Quickly show the visual style I have, tap into my personality, make an emotional connection with a viewer, briefly inform as to what my site is focused on, create interest quickly-leave the impression that I'm nothing but rock and roll, everyday, all day...

So, we'll see soon if I accomplish that, I'm about to be finishing up my intro and my site, tedious work, and I've got tons of school stuff as well.

mg33

caithness massiv
    i'm with you on that, mg33....

if you don't need an intro... why have one??? for instance, i'm doing a roofing website, and i've been contemplating an intro...

but what for??? it's not like people don't understand what roofing is... what the company does... they're not putting up the website to show off a flashy intro anyway...

so i'm not going to use one... instead, a simple preloader leading straight to the main page will work fine for them...

on the other hand... if you're doing a site for something like an up-and-coming event, or you're doing your own personal website... then the reasons for having an intro begin to appear... but that STILL doesn't mean you need them

imho - intros should be <10 sec... if not 5... the example i always point to is http://www.dennisinteractive.com they state their mission "we create extraordinary digital band experiences"

they toss in some awesome effects... and boom, you're at the site! none of this "we are the cutting edge in design. you haven't seen anything like us before. we are quality"...etc. etc.. like you see in so many other intros these days...

if you know you're that good, don't flaunt it! just show it in a clear, concise manner that BRANDS the company image, or whatever the site is intended to do

War is futile: just drink beer phooka's Avatar
    First of all, I do love posting here. You are right, Mg33, the response is different here than in CL. I am not saying better, but different!

And second: I am currently making a new intro as well. I am convinced by your arguments, and I've decided my intro was far too long! Both Agent Vivid and Mg33 do coincide in that issue, and I loved that 5 seconds rule!

The sentence leave the impression that I'm nothing but rock and roll, everyday, all day... is just great... I hope I do get into that stage, and I hope we can see your creation in Site Check in brief! I love your site, Mg, and it was one of the first ones I saw when coming into FK in August...

What about music? Ppl seem to be adding lots of techno stuff to increase the tempo, but I do not like these abrupt endings to loops...

Regards,

"village idiot" not brackets ""

Wanna-be Jezza

I have to say intros can be ethor anoying or intertesting. If the intro isnt fast, short, and visualy interesting. If it dosnt have thous qualitys its not worth seeing, and remember this is gunna be there EVERY time your users come to the site, if its long, boring, they wont stay. At 2advanced.com for example, Eric J has created a good, FAST intro, so you have the control to skip it, bt its only 10 seconds so you usually don't. I think thta a into should have music, it brings a whole new attention to the intro.

I opted for the 1 minute intro and the emotional impact effect. As I am targeting the students on my campus (T3 LAN) I could afford to do this. I also have the option to skip at any point.

BG
    http://www.surgu.com

This flash is too long-what do you think?

The company I work for have a dilemma.

The flash intro on our web site is too long, however we have had many positive comments as to how it was put together. Take a look at it people, because we want to kill it and just need to know that we are doing the right thing

http://www.data-sphere.co.uk

If you kill that intro I will come round there personally and smash up your office with a baseball bat.

Sorry about the violence there - but that is an intro many companies would die for. It can be skipped so it is not a problem. Whoever out this foolish notion in your head - or your bosses head - should be shot!!!!

DONT KILL IT!!

BG

Intros are great, heck I have one on my site

http://www14.brinkster.com/ameba2d/A...tionintro.html
    (beta version, no site preloader, highbandwidth)

but I think to many people are making the same techno music with flashing words and well that is annoying, ok thats my two cents.

Brad

Re: This flash is too long-what do you think?

Originally posted by helen davies
    The company I work for have a dilemma.

The flash intro on our web site is too long, however we have had many positive comments as to how it was put together. Take a look at it people, because we want to kill it and just need to know that we are doing the right thing

http://www.data-sphere.co.uk

Why?

It was stated before that the intro could be skipped and you offer the choice of HTML or Flash site before even entering. Why kill it?

BTW it only took me 4 secs to download your intro.

Personal Opinion

Hey pplz, my personal opinion about intros are:
    • Should be fast, depending on what you are advertising. The general feel should be moderate - fast paced
    • It should be short, if it's too long, then generally ppl wont stick around for it. Nice and short like...ummm I don't know, but yeah. You've seen short intros, and most work...for me anyway!
    • They should be sharp. If it's sharp, it'll get to the point well, not beating around the bush like some others, or even worse, has no relevence to what your website is about.
    • It should kind of explain what your website is about.

that's it for now
    chewman2k

[Edited by chewman2k on 11-21-2000 at 09:48 PM]

Beyond the Sea

probably the best reason for an intro

would be to put up something for the viewer to see while the site loads in the background.

I'm moving away from intros. I'd rather put up something that states my idea quickly and then gets you to the site...and helps load it at the same time. Something that has been brought up before was using an "intro" as an about page. So, you come directly to the site and give the user the option of viewing the intro or whatever.

I'm all for establishing a mood, but I'm getting sick of these 200-300k intros that take forever to load and then you have to load the site... Now that I've said that, you can look at my site and yes, I've got an intro that's about 80k and it links to a separate html page so I can't preload any of the things on that page...

what's my point?
    I don't know...need sleep...
    big intro with no purpose == bad
    small, tight intro with passionate content == great!

Rich

acQuired brAin

Blinded by the Flash

Hi,
    I guess an intro comes down to a target audience in my humble opinion, but that doesn't mean you suck up the bandwidth without a reason. Flash has some amazing streaming propeties but often I notice that some people fail to notice the good ol bandwidth profiler.
    If anyone has done some market research on their audience you will find that a common factor is that people hate to wait, they also hate to read and definatley hate to scroll. You can just about bet that your common garden variety surfer will be 'gone in 30 seconds if they arent' getting any action. So I've found that people would rather read than wait. If you have a genuine purpose for an intro then these things need to be considered. I believe that a well planded intro or splash can capture the imagination of your audience, show some class and get some added exposure. Keep it clean, make it lean and don't forget to stream. If your going to make a splash do it with relevant content.

i think intros are basically what they state. an introduction to what follows it. it should set up a mood, a feeling, a theme. i think an intro shouldn't stand alone, it becomes an extension to the main movie. the advantages of an intro is you set up your viewer for what to expect. this is subjective b/c people have different target audiences and different reasons why they are making this site.

certain principles should remain:
    -keep your viewer intrigued
    -don't add text effects for the heck of it, have a reason for everything.
    -use animation as a way to make your viewer stay intereseted. keep the focal point in mind.
    -sound is or can be an intrical part of the intro, use sound as a complimentary addition, don't let it take over the piece.
    -an intro should contain certain elements that carry over to the main movie. you want to make sure the viewer knows they haven't been sent somewhere else.

oh yeah - add a skip intro button, unless of course your intro is part of your preloader.

hope this helps.

caithness massiv
    *an addition to what's been said - put simpily*

if you use an intro... be VERY wary of the 'line of sight' throughout the movie... you want everything to flow into itself...