A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Putting Flash into iMovie

Putting Flash into iMovie

We use macs at school and have to use iMovie to make the end of the year video. We have found a few ways to import Flash into iMovie, but both are very inconvienient. The first of the two is a way that I'm not sure how to do but someone in the class does. This way however, imports Flash as picture after picture which needs to be dragged into the movie. When you have to drag 240 pictures into a movie to play :20 of footage this is a hassel. The other way we do it is to publish Flash as quicktime and then in quicktime convert it to a Mini DV stream I think it is. This imports it fine and as a whole, but with horrible image quality. The lines are all pixelated and horrible. My question is whether anyone knows a way to combine the two? Good image quality as in the first method, but in all one chunk as in the second. Thanks for the help.
    For all of you who don't know, use (AS) and (/AS) in your post and put your actionscript in them, it makes it easier to read. (replace ( and ) with square brackets)

I think it depends what will be the final viewing medium (TV, computer monitor, projector, etc), but what I can tell you is that what looks like jaggy edges in iMovie looks perfectly OK on the TV.

I've used this exact process before when I needed some credits for my home movie. When I imported to iMovie, I thought there's something wrong and tried to fix it. When I couldn't I just thought stuff it and to my suprise when I burned and then played the DVD thru the TV it was perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Vendian View Post
    We use macs at school and have to use iMovie to make the end of the year video. We have found a few ways to import Flash into iMovie, but both are very inconvienient. The first of the two is a way that I'm not sure how to do but someone in the class does. This way however, imports Flash as picture after picture which needs to be dragged into the movie. When you have to drag 240 pictures into a movie to play :20 of footage this is a hassel. The other way we do it is to publish Flash as quicktime and then in quicktime convert it to a Mini DV stream I think it is. This imports it fine and as a whole, but with horrible image quality. The lines are all pixelated and horrible. My question is whether anyone knows a way to combine the two? Good image quality as in the first method, but in all one chunk as in the second. Thanks for the help.
    Hey, to import flash to imovie, there is a simple tool to help you to do it, ast swf to imovie convert for mac. this simple tool will help you to convert flash .swf to imovie supported video for further editing. click here to see how it works.

Flash is not a readable format on Mac, you need to convert it to a mac friendly format like mov first, then drop into iMovie.
    As for the solution, I suggest use a flv to mov converter. It should get you through what you have.
    I used it for a while, it wasn't that bad, never had any problems with it.
    BTW, i have a iMac running Leopard 10.5.8