A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Wireframe like interface

Hi everybody! I'd really like to know how on earth i can do an interface like the one at

http://www.wireframe.co.za/default1.htm

It's beautiful! But i don't know how to animate the "curtain", how to let it move smoothly and how to tell the indicators to center themselves in the x position of the mouse.. please help it's very important

Here is the reply I give everyone that isn't ready for something like that:

Not to be a prick, but that is a lengthy process that not a lot of flashers will want to explain for you. You are better off finding a menu system in the Movies section here on flashkit and figuring it out by yourself, if you aren't ready to be able to do actionscripting like that then you should learn the basics first. You shouldn't jump ahead just because you want to do something cool before learning all of the beginner's actionscript and techniques. Not intended as a bash or anything, so don't take it the wrong way ;-).

I understand that the things than u can see at wireframe are probably the best examples of what you can do with actionscripting after a lot of pratice but i'd like to know at least how they can make a MC follow the x position of the mouse, that would be enough i will try the rest later

I have an example I can post later at home, like at 6:30 EST. If you can wait, and nobody else answers you, i can send it later tonight.

that's not so hard, y'know.
    Just look at it and think for a while.
    What 's happening?
    when the mouse is away from the mc, the mc's _x is modified so that it is more or less equal to the mouse'_x.
    Since it's working all the time, you can imagine
    that the _x modification happens in an onClipEvent(enterFrame) handler (or within a loop).
    So what you have to do in the onClipEvent handler is to check _root._xmouse and compare it to the current mc _x. Then you have to code very little for the rest.
    With the help of the ActionScript Dictionnary the job will be done quite fast.
    Notice that in the url you gave it is not only the mouse tracking that make it look good, it's also - perhaps overall - a good choice it the colours, a good organisation of the page, and a good rythm in the animation.

Remember, when you look at a good flash site, you know you can understand how it was done. The more you try to understand, the less you lose time asking the wrong questions ;-)

Supersatori:

You have to realize that some people don't know what an onClipEvent handler can do. They also may not know how to use the looping MC technique, and need to learn it from somebody or somewhere. That is why newbies come here, and ask questions, some may be answered with common sense, but some are more complex than a newbie can understand yet, so there are really no "wrong" questions, just misled questions. If someone asks a question that is hard to understand, then they should be asked to better articulate and elaborate on what they are asking. Even though you may know quite a bit of Flash, others do not, that is why they ask. Jux Out.

did you noticed the ';-)' after the words 'wrong questions'?
    Don't worry I also think that there are no 'wrong' or 'bad' questions. But there may be bad answers, i-e 'you don't know enough to do this or that'.
    And if an answer is too complex for a so-called'newbie' as you say, I don't believe it is bad. I can't suppose from a single post that a person knows or ignores something about flash, about computers, about life,...
    I believe that a 'complex' answer is an answer. That's all. Moreover, if some people don't know what an handler is, they can easily figure it out by looking in the 'fine manual' or by asking the question again.
    There was no irony in my answer, it's almost impossible since I hardly speak english (I don't even understand what you mean by Jux out, but I think it's quite unfair ;-) ).
    I really can't say if I know 'quite a bit of Flash' and I don't either know what you know about it - in fact I simply don't care - but I don't think that neither me or you can judge if someone is ready for something or if he is not.
    And if you think that macmatteo's question isn't worse an answer because he's not skilled enough, then don't even waste your time replying.
    By the way, I don't believe this forum is the place for such a sterile debate, so thank you and have a good juxing out.

"Jux out." = first three letters of my nickname, and out = i'm done writing

That was not intended as a slander or bash of any sorts, it was just meant to let you know that some people don't know what onClipEvent is, and dont know about the wonders of the Flash 5 Help file ;-) No hard feelings meant whatsoever, if any were given, I apologize.

"Jux out." =)

I posted a new thread in the Flash 5 Actionscripting board about the wireframe like interface. There you can see an example of what i was up to do but now i still need help, check it out. The thread is called

Wireframe Reproduced? HELP!!