A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Not Sure how to describe my problem (has to do with rotation)

FK's Resident ...... Resident flashMasterHand's Avatar

Not Sure how to describe my problem (has to do with rotation)

Hey All,

I am working on a game (will try this in the games forum if I don't get any replies) that is a tactical simulation (if that is even a genre ) You move your units (top down view) with the mouse. When they get within a certain range of an enemy, they will start fighting each other. The problem I am having is that when the units see each other, I need them to turn and face each other. It would be great if I could get them to turn until they were looking a each other (ie over a few frames), but just having them instantly turn to face each other is fine (ie the moment they see each other, they take one frame to turn. I just am not sure how to go about doing this. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
    Dave
    DaveWasmer.com
    Programmers don't die, they just GOSUB without RETURN.

Well, you should have a variable telling you the rotation of the units at any given time. I'm assuming you have the movement random, and therefore rotation is also random. So, if one unit sees another unit.
    unit1._rotation = unit2._rotation + 180 (or 2pi depending what the units are)

If you can visualize this, adding 180 degrees will make the one unit face the other. Hope this helps a little

What if they aren't facing the oppisite directions??

I thought it would be basically taking the same forumla for the cars that can drive in any direction in a top down view:

Math.sin(_rotation*(Math.PI/180))*speed

and somehow reversing it. So you would get the slope of the line that passes through the enemy's point and the marine's point. Then, using that reversed formula, work backwards from the slope to the angle. I know that makes no sense at all, I can't explain this stuff in text. Anyway, the movements aren't random.

Nevermind, I figured it out. Thanks for your help.

My code would have worked though. Example, unit 1 is facing to the right (0 degrees). Unit 2 is somewhere to the right of unit 1 facing say...45 degrees. When unit 2 "sees" unit 1 it will according to my code rotate to unit 1 +180 degrees, which will make it rotate to 180 degrees, or facing to the left (towards unit 1). This would work for any directions.....

Regardless, glad you got it figured out.