A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Suggestions?

Suggestions?

Early stages of design, please offer any suggestions and try not to be too harsh, I'm weak!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by liquidv; 04-12-2004 at 09:25 AM.

I think it's decent, but I don't think the purple goes that good with the white and blue.

Good job, though.

I'm confused, I haven't used any purple in the design ??

Actually the color in the backgrounds below the nav is very purple.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

looks blue to me? maybe he edited it. It looks good though. The text in the middle - the body text is too bold. Try using verdana no aliasing font size 9. It might look better. Im not sure if your using pshop or flash. Just think that text looks too bold - its bigger than the nav text.

Holy crap, my laptop LCD has been lying to me all this time! I just plugged my screen into a monitor, and all the colours are completely different! The middle text box is green to me, yet on the monitor it is a horrid purple. What is this abomination?

i see no purple ::

Take a look at the screenshot below. There are a lot of different shades of blue. The blue that you used in the top has far more green in it than the blue you used on the bottom, which has more red in it. Can you see it now?

mrush

Ctranter, are you viewing through an LCD?

yeah lcd. Rushvision - I agree that it is more pinky/purple, but to my eyes it is not a huge difference. Maybe my monitors are rubbish.

LCDs are sharper, they display the colours differently. Trying to get a happy medium between the LCD and the monitor - will post new version once done =)

Okay, I have these banners - what is your preference, and why?

I've surveyed a few people on my msn, and most people chose the third one claiming it was more 'dynamic' - and although i'd like it to be my favourite, I believe it appears too 'harsh' in comparison with the rest of the design. Have a look and see what you think =)

Btw, the site is a template design - it will extend further than the actual image you saw above
    Last edited by liquidv; 04-13-2004 at 10:00 AM.

1st one, just seemd softer and more iin keeping eith the pastel colours of the site.

The 2nd banner is better imho. I say this becuase its not so harsh as the third, but not as subdued as the 1st thus resulting in a more readable text. It also brings out the girl's eyes better wich compliments the text aswell.

I'm going to go with number three. Personally I like the vibrancy of the image. As for how it ties in with the rest of the design...

Ok, so this is the last time I will harp on the difference between the two shades of blue. I don't know if you guys have had any formal art training, and I'm certainly not putting you down if you haven't, but once you have been forced to produce every color by mixing only primary colors...red, yellow, blue, black & white... you develop a pretty sharp eye for how much of which is needed to produce the desired hue.

Part of our 'job' as artists and designers is to be able to detect small differences in hue(color), shade(darkness) and tint(lightness). If you guys have done your time and already know all there is to know about color theory, then feel free to ignore my rantings and I will trouble you no further with my finger-pointing at your purple. If however, you have not had the opportunity to take a color class or otherwise become introduced to the color wheel and it's many magical mysteries, then please consider this to be a friendly education on the subtleties of hue.
    mrush