A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Now I've done it....

FK Bored Crew

Smile

First, my apologies to GrandmasterFlash and anyone else who bid on the Alternative Spoke freelance job posted at Bullhorn.

It's a ruse.

I've seen many postings about what flashers and web designers get paid. "How much should I bid on this job?" has been a problem for me, too. So I cheated a little; after an earlier post from a community member inquiring as to the effectiveness of Bullhorn, I placed a fictitious job posting there. The listing was posted within the hour and within the next hour I have already had 15 bids, ranging from $6,000 all the way down to $50.00 for a 6-page flashed website, with content and graphics provided by the client.

Is anyone interested in viewing the actual bids I have gotten on this, or would the community prefer to keep their identities anonymous in this case? I found this little test to be quite informative and viewed some really good portfolios and some....well....really bad ones (even from my newbie point of view).

I await your comments and feedback

-fishee

i really wanna see the BIDS, PLEASE!

FK founder & general loiterer Flashkit's Avatar
    I think you would be breaching a few laws if you postied the rsults here and identified the people as well. If you do make such a posts, keep the identities secret please.

Mark
    Webmaster

Beyond the Sea

resolved

Shame on you Fishee

I wonder how many of those jobs up on Bullhorn are actually designers feeling out the competition? Hmm...? As to the bids...that's quite the spread...6,000 to 50. I wouldn't like to see the complete list, but where was the average? Have you taken the job down? Are people still bidding for it?

I believe we need to get more jobs to bid on over there, but preferably ones through which we can actually get paid

Rich
    http://www.richpaul.com

FK Bored Crew

ouch

OK, in respect to other's privacy I won't mention names. I posted the Alternative Spoke job yesterday afternoon, and as of checking my email this morning I've gotten 37 bids and 159 views. Here's the details:

JOB: Create a 6-page flashed website using the logo, graphics and content provided by the client (me). Delivery date was set at July 24th, 2000. Bid pricing was set to "negotiable".

The business is a high-end bicycle store seeking to attract "extreme" bikers and appeal to corresponding age groups and demographics. (Incidentally, Alternative Spoke is a real store, local to my area. They have a website done by somebody else already).

The highest bid I've gotten so far is $17,500 (no lie!) and the lowest was $50.00 however I believe the $50 bid was intentionally low-balled in order to attract my attention. As the bidder put it, "we can talk price later".

Anyways, here's the breakdown:

Average bid amount: $2,700 (rounded), if you do not include the $17,500 bid then the average was $2,200.

The second highest bid was $6,000

Two bids for $5,000

Two bids for $4,000

Two bids for $3,000

Two bids for $2,500

Six bids for $2,000

Four bids for $1,500

Two bids for $800

Two bids for $600

Three bids for $50

All other bids were single. Average "Revisions done at no charge" was 3.

Average time to completion was ten days and four people thought they could get the project done in one day.

Average hourly rate for revisions was $43.00

Again, my apologies to fellow flashers whose time I wasted with this experiment. I hope the information I provided here is of value to you and that the end has justified the means.

-fishee

FK founder & general loiterer Flashkit's Avatar
    It is insightful, but like all such issues a comparision of quality for price would need to be made. Since you have to respect privacy it is hard to show the sites of the bidders so that you can show quality/cost ratios, maybe based on your own viewing of bidders work you an create your own ratios of quality to cost, that would make for an interesting figure, remember though to keep identities private.

Mark