A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Database Less Databases

Database Less Databases

Just curious if its posible to do database liek work withou acess or SQL, ive seen formum don via phpa post and tead to text files and was curious if flash could dynamicly be used with PHP/ASP/ or XML to ignore a database and use a txt files instead
    Last edited by llx; 04-14-2004 at 01:25 PM.

Shure , you can use any serverside script language your server supports to update textfiles and retrieve information from them.

I use a cgi script called FlashDB from ww.kessels.com for these things, making updatable sites, highscores, guestbooks, polls and so on. All scripting has to be done in Flash ( that suits me fine as im no good with serverside scripts ) as the script is only used to save and load variables.

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog
    http://talesofthepixel.blogspot.com

As you may have noticed i dont like 3rd parties (not enough coffe to go around) so i'm trying to build a database (pun intended) of ways to do eveything first party, i can work with somethign that give a code templat but i dont liek to rely on say having to send a post function toa sendmail.pl which isnt suppoted by every host.

Atleast with XML and Flash (and PHP or ASP) i can create websites that are dynamic but don't require you to sue some propritary BS, when i switch hosts i want to just reupload the website and run i dont want to have to reconfiger this or that because some web host uses Form mail not send mail, or they support Acess byt not SQL...

i;m even lerry of PHP and ASP...

but Flash and XML are universal all you need is a modern browser and a free plug in.

Flash can't save XML to the server, you have to use ASP or PHP to save your XML.

I think you will find that you will need to use third party code on your web sites.

Thanks

Luke
    Flash-XML FAQ
    http://www.tupps.com/flash/faq/