dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Tiling an image in illustrator?

Tiling an image in illustrator?

Hello,

Ok for the life of me I can't figure out how to tile a sheet of business cards in illustrator. I have the card all ready to go and I have tile full page selected in the document properties, but it doesn't do anything. all it does is print one copy of the image in the corner of the page. I am thinking that tile full page has nothing to do with tiling the image?

If someone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

what tiling will do is take a larger print document and spread it across two or more pages giving you a bit of a bleed edge from one to the next. For instance you have a tabloid size piece of art yet only a letter size printer ... it would print it out so you could effectively piece it together. Make sense?

Now if you want to print something like 8 up on a letter sized sheet you may have to do that manually. Just open a new document with a letter sized artboard and copy/paste away. Make sure you set up some sort of trim marks as well so you know where to trim them out. If you need further help on this just let me know.

Ok thats makes sense. I started doing it manually, but how do I set trim marks?

thanks

I usually just set up a grid for my cards using guidelines. If you aren't using bleeds then you'll set up the cut marks on the outside of the card artwork. They're basically just crop marks. I usually use a .25 point line set the line color to registration. Just a little tick that signifies where you want your cards trimmed ... if that's the intention. Are you sending this to an offset press eventually?

Well I am actually doing the printing myself on my laser printer using those premade biz cards from office depot. So I am wonder what type of alignment I am needing to arrange.

they may have an illustrator or eps template already set up on a cd for you (if the package came with one). If not there may be a place you can go to download one. Then just arrange your artwork to fit in the template.

Yea it didn't come with or say anything about a template. I did however look around on the office depot site, and found thier' templates for business cards. The only template they offer is for Microsoft Word. I really don't want to have to use the word template becuase its a pain in the arse to bring images into and have them work right, but I suppose I don't have a choice lol.

thanks clicky

well the other way would just be to simply measure out the layout of the stock you'll be printing on and use that as your guide. If you're printing on pre-perforated stock you won't need the trim marks. Just measure the performated areas, set your guides to match, and dump in your artwork. Make sense?

Realized that right after I posted. I measured the paper with a printer ruler I had, set up te rulers and popped it in. worked great. ALot easier then I thought lol. thanks for the help

np ... anytime!