A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Play music that is not in flash

Play music that is not in flash

Hey does anyone know how to play music when clicking a button in flash but the song isnt in the flash file? What im trying to say is ive created a flash playlist and do not want to save the songs in the flash file due to unreasonable loading times. I want a user to be able to click the play button in the flash file and for the song to play without opening a new screen. If anyone can help that would be awsome. Thanks in advance.

Carpe Diem - Moderator wolfgross's Avatar
    If you're using SWiSHmax, keep each song in a seperate .swf file (movie) and use the load/unload movie option to play/stop the music.
    For SWiSH2, you can use Soundnails to convert your mp3 musicfiles into streaming .swf's, which will not have to load, they will start playing, more or less, instantly. Same here, use the load/unload movie option to play/stop the music.

wolf

Hey can you explain how I can load/unload movie? Thanks for your help

There is a tutorial for loading .swf files over at ST's

wolf

thanks for all your help man really appreciate it!

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    With SWiSHmax you can also dynamically load .MP3 file when a move plays .. os you can keep mp3 files on your web server and have a SWF movie that can play them (they don't have to be in the SWF).
    Roger Onslow - SWiSHmax: its here!

i have a similar question...i used the sound nails to create buttons but the client didn't like the generic look. So I created buttons in photoshop, attached the sound to them in swish2 but it takes soooo long to load...www.angelom.com/music_later.html
    my client is anxious as they are pretty much waiting on me to get it to work fast and well.
    I really appreciate any help with this...
    thank you so much,
    beka
    i wish this forum had a spell check....

beka,...go to your program files/uebershall/Soundnails/Output and grab the swf file starting with STREAMxxxx.swf. This will just play the sound without the buttons showing, then use the load/unload movie option in SWiSH to play/stop that music, it is "streaming" so it doesn't have to load first to play.

wolf

hey wolf,
    thanks! unfortunatly i do not see anything beginning with the STREAMxxxx.swf..this seems the answer, but do not see it!

maybe that's only in the pro version..i have the non-pro cheaper version...

...I have the 10 bucks version, but I had it for a while, maybe they changed it. Just click on all the swf files and take the one that opens in an empty (white) frame and plays the sound.

wolf

my version gives me 5 choices under the SWF host file tab - none with a blank or white frame...i've only had the sn's for a couple of months so maybe it did change?
    thanks wolf for your input!
    beka

Can someone hook me up with a media player that loads random songs in a playlist? I want to save the songs in mp3 version and the flash randomly load the songs. I will give you the button images if someone can do this it would be greatly appreciated. I am a n00b when it comes to making flash media players. Thanks