A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: flv & swf & fps question =)

flv & swf & fps question =)

hi all,

I am starting to work with video and flash and I have some more questions:

I have noticed that flv files are always a bit bigger the swfs that flash generates with them? does Flash compress the flv file while creating the swf? (basically flv is always bigger then the swf flash spits out)

the audio export setting for an swf do not effect the audio of an embedded video or?

if one directly imports a video clip into a fla there the option
    to match the video frame rate to that of the fla. Does this happen
    automatically when importing flv? or what happens when I import a
    15 fps into a 30 fps fla... personally I have had no problems with this. Plus I have noticed increasing the frame of a flv results into
    minimal increases of the flv file.

Ok I might running into performance problems since my fla will be running at 30 fps, this why I am asking about importing a 10/15 fps flv into flash... since from what I understand the lower the frame rate = less images = less of a performance hit, and I my videos will be mostly talking heads.

BTW I am working with Flash MX on windows XP

Thanks in advance for any replies!
    and thanks for replying to my previous questions

Merci merci!!

Ciao

FB

Wildform Moderator
    Hi.
    FLV and SWF video files using the same settings should be the same size. However, if the SWF file is compressed, then it will be smaller.
    SWF video files have both a video and SWF framerate. You should make the SWF framerate the same as the FLA that you are loading the video into.
    FLV files have only one framerate. This framerate functions independently of the framerate of any FLA that you load the FLV into. That is one of several advantages of using the FLV format (FLV files also have no 16,000 frame limit and they do not use up RAM in the same way as SWF files). The downsides to FLV are that they only play in the Flash 7 player and they do not play in the player directly (they must be loaded using the appropriate playback component).
    jb
    www.wildform.com

thanks for the great replies jp =)

very helpful