dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Design Student Site

Design Student Site

here's my site. I am a very passionate about design, please critique my site from a design stand point.

www.casellart.com

please...everybody. not to sound too over the top but...don't let my skills as a designer scare you away from commenting on my site. I am entering it to win an award and want some final critques.

Later Guys

Ok, wow...haven't seen that kind of arrogance in a long time. Rest assured that no one is being 'scared away by your skills as a designer'. Personally I haven't had time to give any comprehensive feedback yet. I still don't, but I'll see if I can get to it later tonight.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

I like the sketches. Very much.

As far as the site goes.
    There some terrible typography on the welcome page.
    The navigation is a bit hard to use (just plain images).
    There's purple textlinks on your site, is it supposed to be that way?

At first when I read your comments about me being scared away... I thought.... wow this has to be good. Unfortunately, I seem to be rather disappointed by the hype.

As mentioned by sense, the typography needs some work. The purple link on the 'main page' is oddly placed. Times New Roman doesn't seem to work well in this site.

Again, the navigation is rather boring. The webdesign portfolio itself and the layout needs some work. The roll-over idea really isn't my idea of a great site.

Maybe I would have thought your site was better if you didn't say you were that great. Though, I understand that as your English might not be too good, it may just be something 'lost in translation'.
    Kind Regards,

Cory

The splash page I liked. You could probably lose the two black 'Version 6.0's, but otherwise a clean execution of a grungy style.

Once you enter the site though, the typography kind of falls apart. The red in the 'Welcome' is far too prominent, as is the red that is accenting the other words, though to a lesser degree. I'm not entirely sure what would be more appropriate, but I would think about replacing the image of that hand holding with something else. It's the first thing people see when they enter your site and I don't think it's your best work, to be perfectly honest. Perhaps use one of your favorite pieces from your portfolio.

The rest of the site is cool, it seems to reflect your artistic style well enough, but again I'm going to point at the typography as one thing that could use some refinement. I think you are basically doing the right thing, you are just doing too much of it. In most cases you are repeating a word, and I think you should just use the word once, but give it a little bit more of a grunge treatment...scratch it up a bit, maybe ghost the red text in behind it as you have done on the splash page. Keep it a simple statement though, rather than a noisy cacophony of text.
    mrush

Not quite sure how many classes you folks have take on design and Typography. I may be going out on a limb but let me say I have take MANY classes on typography and i know my stuff. you say the Typography falls apart once you are in my site. What's that suppose to mean. I need a real critique. not pot shots with nothing to back it up.

Later Guys.

My advice...get your ego under control. Your simply not as good as you think you are. This is something I NEVER say, but in your case I feel it will do you more good to hear it. I'm not saying that you have no skills, just that they are not at a level that justifies your attitude.

If you can't take criticism I'm afraid you are in the wrong business, my friend. No one was taking pot shots at you, we all simply saw the same thing...your typography needs help. I'm sorry, but it does. If the instructors who taught your typography classes don't agree, then I would seriously consider asking for your money back for those particular courses on the grounds of teacher incompetence. I think it likely though, that they simply didn't want to deal with your attitude and after several attempts to improve your work they just gave up in the face of you telling them they didn't know what they were talking about.

Dude, seriously...were you just looking for praise or were you looking for an honest critique?

When I said that the typography falls apart once you are in the site I meant that you did a good job on the typography for the splash page, but you did not do such a good job on the typography for the rest of the site. I both explained what I saw as a problem and what I thought would fix it. Is there something unclear about that?

Let us know how you do in your contest.
    mrush

The site itself doesn't really look that interesting to me, but I think its a good concept, and you seem to have good graphic skills, use them a bit more. And i also agree with the typography needing some work.

Other than that you seem to have a nice portfolio, some very interesting art, and print work. Though some of the websites you've made are a little plain.

And next time you post something here, try not to be so cocky, with that attitude i was expecting to see some 2advanced quality work.
    Last edited by Firefuze; 04-20-2004 at 04:11 PM.

alright...that's a little better guys. believe it or not I'm not cocky about my work. but usually when I post a happy little post like. "please look at my site" all i get is nice little replys i get sick of people telling me they like my stuff even if they don't. if i come in here with a little attitude I figure I get a better responce. darnit I want to know what requires improvement. thanks for the posts and I am going to go back to the drawing board with my typography.

Thanks

I like the sketched style in some parts, but I think its pretty plain.
    Menu needs lots of work because its a bit simple, even a bit boring after a while, adding a bit of interaction or movement would be good.
    |"Silence teaches you how to sing"

Here's a few more minor and major things you might want to take a look at.

The 'Home' page is simply too busy. The centre of attention is not obvious, and the text is too chunky to be on the opening page.

The page titles simply don't work with the rest of the site. The formality of the site doesn't match the 'pRinT WoRK' type of thing.

Again, it seems to have not caught your attention but the rollover idea is simply not working. Depending on what type of competition you're entering, it may not be what they're looking for. Are you entering a technical or aesthetics competition? In other words, are they interested in the load times.

Your web-design work doesn't do any justice to your graphics skills. Show the skills that shine. A portfolio should show the best you can do. Small things like this, will, if it was for a real client, drag down your likelihood of being employed.

And finally... So what if you've taken a thousand classes on typography? I agree that in some parts it seems good, but others still need work. Even experts get it wrong sometimes. Unless you're a trend-setter then take the criticsm. Normally I wouldn't give you this attitude, but I don't know how else I could respond.
    Kind Regards,

Cory

One more tip.

If you build a website it's always nice to warn people whenever you plan to open software on their computers such as 'outlook' or 'acrobat reader'.

There's a typo on the splash page, where you dissect that font. It says "SERF" instead of "SERIF".
    hello.

Honestly, the only design that I liked was the photography. You're approach to get people to respond was not well received with me. I undestand what you were trying to do, but it just was not the best way to go about it.

sorry Xample... But how can you possibly tell me that my approach to getting people to respond is not the correct way to do it. Especially When you are RESPONDING to that very post. Please enlighten me. Is it unethical for a designer to be cocky or arrogant? If you don't like my stuff go ahead bash it do whatever. I want to hear the criticism of my work. But if you don't like my arrogance tough luck buddy. the world if full of arrogant designers. Thanks for the post.

Okie guy lets note get personal. As far as I am concerned you asked for a critique. There no way that you should ask for one is you dont know that you will get pissed of with other peoples comments. That is the point of it all. All you can say is "Hey guys , please critique my site" whats the worst any one can say? it sucks? so what...

You need to get it straight man. Im not brinigng you down. You cant stop any onje from expressing their views but just take it in.

Youe sketches are good. I figure draw at an art school.. I realy cant find any relationship to the figures in your art, but i like them as their form. The photos are better though nice composition. But the site needs more work. Kinda plain

gday to you
    No one will ever know how much you try, exept your self.. so suprize them.

I'd hate to tell you but arrogance has time and time again proved itself to be a detrimental trait. Both in the real world and your immediate personal life, arrogance is never received warmly.

Especially When you are RESPONDING to that very post.
    It seems to me that Xample was not actually 'responding' in the way they you say your arrogance would make him. The only comment related to your work was some praise for your photography. Other than that, it was criticsm of your arrogance. Do you not see that your arrogance has become the topic rather than your site?

And have trust in that, many people on Flashkit will be harshly critical of your site without you having to fuel them. People don't need your arrogance to respond frankly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

In any case, the 'Personal' section uses a font a little too small for my liking; why don't you try rephrasing it to make it shorter or scroll it?
    Kind Regards,

Cory

FabulisoAfrikan, please remember to trim down your footer to the FK limitation,
    300 x 40 px.
    Thanks
    |"Silence teaches you how to sing"

Ok guys, I think we have had ample opportunity to make our point regarding arrogance and I think our friend channel367 has had ample opportunity to get that point. As far as I'm concerned it should have ended when he said he was going back to the drawing board with his typography.

What do you say we move on and keep the rest of the thread on the topic of his design rather than his attitude? The matter has been settled. How do you like it when someone beat's your dead horse?

channel367 ~

Keep it real and you'll get some great feedback from the folks around here. These are good people and many of them are quite talented. I think we just got off on the wrong foot.
    mrush