dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 3dfa is pretty dead

3dfa is pretty dead

been forever since anything new happens

3dfa is not dead! it is still under development. check the new version 4.

3dfa is great!

rrrrrrrrright

That isn't new dude, its been out forever

There's no need to for that attitude. Is there anything you can't do at the moment with 3DFA? If not then what do you need an update for?

hates sounds in preloaders.
    There is a thousand things that you can't do with 3DFA, and you know it. I'm with the cheat; 3DFA is pretty dead. And there's such a load of bugs in this verision as well... I was very into this product before, but i feel that Rob has abandoned us, and he haven't done
    anything for the product in like, what is it, at least a few months?
    And there's no signs of any work either. Boo Hoo.
    Oh, I wish I had bought swish instead.

Sincerely,

Joel
    hurg.

dead

I'm going to have to agree with Twisted and The Cheat. While I love the power of 3DFA... the overwhelming amount of bugs makes portions of the program completely unusable. I have deadlines coming up and the parts of the program I need just don't work! Then I have to find these nasty work-arounds that don't work half the time. PLEASE 3DFA..... come back....
    Dan

Oops. I broke it.... again.

All I can say is that I hope you all are wrong. I'll admit that the silence from 3dfa/Rob is worrisome and will definatley keep new users away a bit I'm afraid.

It wouldn't take much fixing to make 3dfa simply the best flash product out there.

Alright guys, 3DFA has been silent since the begining of the year (thats the last I talked to Rob). He did give me a link to his last works on 3DFA and if Blanius (being a long time user) thinks it would be ok to release it, as I do, since 3DFA releases it updates for free anyway, I would post it. I just need a second opion on this, to know I'm not doing any wrong. What are your thoughts, Blanius?

Ok, just emailed Rob again from his new email (if you didn't know 3DFA has a another name and site for their add ons). Hopefully we'll get a response from this.

He he asked you not to share it then don't.

Actually he said nothing about that. I'll wait for his reply though. Hopefully I'll get one.

Thanks for agreeing with me guys (most of you)...

Dont get me wrong, I love 3dfa, but it has problems, and it seems like nothing is being done about them. I dont want to play the suck up to the creators game, lets just look at it how it is. 3dfa has potential, but not if it's not getting developed... At the moment i wish i had invested in koolmoves or swish or something...

l8er

I know I have a lot of time invested in 3dfa. I've been finding work arounds and such since 2.5 and just don't like the idea of having to learn another program. I can do nearly everything I need in 3dfa, but the bugs are frustrating.

I use KoolMoves more then 3DFA myself. The learning curve is pretty simple. I mainly wanted 3DFA for 3D but the 3D isn't so great as the way 3DFA stands currently.

i dont know guys ,im kind of happy with it ,me to is a long time user
    however i always created movies and the whole game creation is all new to me...but i still like it

its way better then needing to start learning a big java script book
    ok....what ?

what kind of bugs?
    maybe start a thread to collect all bugs in 3dfa.

entry 1:
    font outline export is blured (not a bug, but a problem if you want to display small fonts)

Here's the last list I sent to Rob
    3dfa 4R5 notes:

Loading a movie still cannot seem to access events as in a button action in the loaded movie.

Adding elements to a text element:
    If I add a icon from the library as an element inside the text element. this works fine. However if I scale or shear it it looses the change if you do a SHOW event, interestingly rotation remains.

Dynamic HTML still doesn't show in preview, works fine on export. It may have to do with the quote character or the equal character. I think it's when the " is not escaped. again this is preview only

Layers:
    Setting a background color for a layer has no effect.

Rotation:
    There is still a difference in the rotation between export and preview.

In Preview if the roation is counter clockwise the number goes negative, and if clockwise the number goes positive. On Export the number is positive for 180 degrees then goes negative till -180 then resets to 0

In preview as an element rotates, the value for element.rotation continues to increase or decrease.

This one has caused me alot of grief trying to make rotatable knob elements.

Double clicking movie file loads 3dfa but error reports that xxxxx.MOV cannot be loaded.

7/29/2003

Reported from Forum
    Verified

HTML text not available to scroll bar on slide show element.
    I.e. If you place HTML text on slideshow then place scroll bars the HTML text is not listed as an element to scroll.
    Issue seems to be that anything on a slideshow slide cannot have properties. Bug or limitation?