A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How to best optimize JPG for Flash?

How to best optimize JPG for Flash?

When I want to implement JPG's into my Flash movies, I always use Photoshop and its "Save for Web" option. Then I import the JPG into Flash.
    There is an option in Flash where you can set the quality of the exported JPG's. It is set to 80% as Default.

My question is:

What is the best way of optimizing the JPG and how well does Flash optimize?

fjellman

IMO you're following the steps that will yield you the best quality image at the lowest file size. There are always exceptions to this rule. But, if you do most of the file reduction outside of FLASH you'll see the best results. Try messing around with the image property settings in FLASH. Very often you can crunch the image's file size quite a bit after importing your optimized image without much loss of quality - you can go overboard though.

In my experience, its best not to mix FLASH's image compression modes with unintended file types; i.e. JEPG quality with a .GIF or .PNG (or vice versa). This practice always seems to yield an unintended color change that may cause problems if you're trying to match BG colors, or any other colors. I also find that if I'm importing a .GIF that contains some sort of text that the image looks better if the "ALLOW SMOOTHING" option is UNCHECKED.

Hope some of this info is useful.

Good Luck!

Thanks hothousegraphix
    Good advise!

Anyone using another method?

fjellman