dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Help. Adobe Illustrator and Cropping PDFs

Help. Adobe Illustrator and Cropping PDFs

Hey,

I've currently got a client who wants their work done in PDF format (only God knows why). I've tried to save it as a PDF and because the graphics extend off the page, it includes everything outside of the designated page size. I was wondering if there is a way to make it exclude anything that is outside of the page edge?
    Kind Regards,

Cory

one way could be to create a box the size of the page and just crop everything inside that box using the combine tool or punch tool - whatever its called, can't remember - just for when your exporting it as a pdf

might work ?

Hi, the way to do this is to define your page size, go into 'file > document set up' in there enter the size you want the page to be, anything outside that specified size will automatically be cropped, and will not appear

hope this sorts it out

bp

It didn't work, I know why but I don't know how to fix it. The problem is that all the main paths are drawn on the inside of the page edge. However, because the stroke width is ~100pt, the strokes extend off the page. So essentially, all the lines and graphics are within the edge, but the brush effects don't.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I tried using the distiller but that gives a low quality image.
    Kind Regards,

Cory

Hi I have just tried this using paths and 100 stroke setting, and its fine, post a link or pm me a link to the illustrator file, and i'll have a look at it for you

bp

Easiest would be in fact to deselect everything if you have anything selected and then go to Object>Crop Area>Make and you'll get a perfect crop area around your document. Everything not in the crop area will be excluded when exporting to pdf, printing, or exporting to a bitmap.
    hello.

I've figured it out now using the Distiller. The problem is that no objects are actually placed beyond the page edge but the strokes coming off the objects do breach the boundary. So yeh. Confusing stuff. Thanks for your help anyway.
    Kind Regards,

Cory