A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: help me with the pricing...

help me with the pricing...

Ok,

I have this client who wants me to build a series of training / quiz type modules for her. She wants this setup morelike in a game format with characters that react to your answers and so forth. She also needs the results from the testing group stored in a database.

I can handle that no problem. I know flash and AS and so forth. My question is this will be my first game type app I will write for a client? So heres what I have to do...

1.) Ill be creating all the graphics and animation for her. She has no predone graphics
    2.) I will be doing the voice over for the character and so forth
    3.) The actually coding of the games
    4.) the backend programming and setup

How much would you charge for each module? I know the whole your hours worked x a certain rate, but realistically if you were the client, what kind of price would you be like... Ok, I can do that. per module.

Thanks,
    Cedric

I am wondering this too, but I heard that asking for prices is looked down upon on these boards, and may even be illigal..

What is your time worth?

You really need to estimate your hours, pad it to give yourself a cushion. This game could become a quagmire for you, you say it is your first and it's commercial. I would bill it all out based on time. If you a re some heavyweight, then you can charge a heavier price. If you are just a regular guy, stick with the hours model.

Another thought is, if this game generates revenue, get a percentage of it in addition to your regular hourly billing. Also, is your client a heavyweight? You can't bill the local butcher the same price you would charge Oscar Meyer. Right.

Limehouse, Ontario - Never heard of it? Not surprised.
    Yes, it is illegal.

kendude offers excellent suggestions.
    The future belongs to those who prepare for it today.