dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

View Poll Results: Do you prefer frames or no frames?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • No Frames

16 88.89%
  • Frames

2 11.11%

Thread: What do you think of frames?

What do you think of frames?

Im trying to convince a friend that frames arent the best way to go. What are your thoughts on frames?
    Great minds think for themselves.

Spartan Mop Warrior Loyal Rogue's Avatar
    ::
    "Just go make web and stfu already." - jAQUAN

"Twitter is a public display of verbal diarrhea that comes out in small squirts." - Gerbick

I think frames are not very nice. Mmmmm. So take that, frames users... Although, there is stuff that can't be done very well otherwise. for somethings, I would like to use an iframe, but they don't seem to be well supported (when I last bothered), and I end up having clumsy frame things because I want something like a little text box in on area and the rest to stick around it. Bad design on my behalf... If you want the nav bar at the top (like every other site in the world), I don't blame you, and it'll always be there. Includes are good, but they fall off the top of the page... Some people think tables are bad news too, and do silly things with 1*1 gifs. And am I right or wrong in saying google et al. doesnt like frames? when crawling?

You could do what my friend does... Use flash for everything.

tell me, is this sellable..... OddDog's Avatar
    can cause loads of problems for web posicioning ..

I'm not keen on frames on the whole as they remove the ability to easily bookmark and print, which although easy for us pros to get around, it often confuses general users.

Also, as mentioned it causes probs if one of your frames is more popular on google than others, eg your main page gets linked so many people open it without the surounding frames which may contain navigation.

On the other hand, I'm in control of our company intranet, and I use frames for the navigation as it allows for nice simple navigation that can be easily changed depending on the permissions of each user based on their windows login information.

definitely a no on the frames...they're so 1996

design your pages differently, and/or use includes.

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog Photos Book

1996 hahahaha
    Great minds think for themselves.

completely depends on the nature of the project.

i'm currently building an e-learning site in frames right now, but if my phone rang for an ecommerce or general info site i wouldn't use frames.

look at the context of the project and its audience and you'll make a better decision than asking us knucklheads.

I just thought of an example... My friend and I knocked up a site for a primary school here in Melbourne. One of the popular ISP's aimed at schools, netspace, has no scripting on their included hosting. So no php includes.

We didn't do this, but I think now (too late), that if we had've built the pretty bits of the site, and had the content bit within a frame, we could have set up their copy of MS word to change the content frame through FTP, if effect a dodgy CMS. I think frames are far more preferable to that fad of javascript pop up "remote controls" a few years ago... I thought they were cool, so did everyone else on tripod/geocities/angelfire. Maybe we should bring it back?

// Cosmic Scoundrel
    Search engines are becoming more and more intelligible when it comes to spidering and indexing framed sites, and problems can easily be avoided with proper use of <meta> tags.

For a complete fool-proof guide on putting meta to good use with framed sites, surf:

http://www.webdisplays.com/guide-web...generator.html

Hope that's a good second opinion for you. I used to be against the whole frameset idea myself, but they can be incredibly handy once you get to grips with them.

Oh, and one more thing...don't use iframes, not unless you're desperate. They're deprecated and simply frowned upon so I've heard.
    ( : D-D-Deejay Smiley [RECOGNiZED HiGHLY] : )

yup, it completely depends on what your trying to accomplish. Frames and popups are very important tools in elearning and some ecommerce/hipaa web apps. But for commercial, marketable purposes - I would steer clear of them and go with includes, they give you much more control anyways...

Best usage of frames: Java API documentation!
    Frames is good for stuff where you have a large navigation that will take a lot of time to dl on a modem ( like the java API ), it comes down to what you need and want to achieve with the project.
    NuCleuZ :: PHPVolcano :: Blog

I am quite partial to an IFrame if it suits the task, but otherwise a definate no. Thank heavens for flash.
    Lecherous by Nature, Evil by Intent

***Blame dem Jeans***