A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: underlines and URLs question and anti aliasing

more questions for anyone to answer!

1. in my mac version of flash i don't have any option to do underlines in my font selection , only italics and bolds. am i missing something or am i going to have to draw in lines throughout my text where i want things underlined?

2. i can use the get url function from buttons but how would i best make links from within text? do i need to make the whole text a button with the hit area just around the link or is there an easier way. and what then happens if different players render the text a little differently and the hit area has moved relative to the text??

3. is there a way to have both aliased and anti aliased text within the same movie?

thanks for pointers!

chundle

1. Nope, you did not miss anything. There is no option to underline text in Flash.. You just have to draw the lines yourself

2. Links in text is one area where I think Flash could use a little improvement.. don't get me wrong, it's a great technology.. but placine a link in a body of text (one of the internet staples) is not easy.

My favorite method for creating links in text is to creat a button with a transparent box (alpha 0%) with a line along the bottom of the box. If you set the line size to H, then the line (and the entire button) will not mind being stretched to fit over any peice of text. This was the method I used for the text links on my site. If I did not explain that well enough, I can email you a sample FLA.

3. How the text displays in a movie depends on several factors..

Regular text will display with antialiasing ON if the Quality is set to High or Best. Antialiasing will be OFF if you set your Quality to Low.

Text-Box text is a little different. If you choose to "Include Font Outlines", then this text will behave just as regular text does. However, if you do not choose to "Include Font Outlines", then antialising will NOT be used.

Hope that helps..

------------------
    Scott Richards
    http://www.rjscs.com/scotty
    scotty@rjscs.com

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Lightbulb

I realy like the method that Scottris is using for text the only thing I would change is the the alpha rectangle and would go with a plain old invisible button with just plain old black or white rectangle in the hit frame and the line in the up,over,down frames. You will still see the button for placing it and it will be less taxing on the end users cpu. This may not be an issue but if you have enough buttons on a screen all using an alpha in the top end your animations will suffer as will the end users cpu. regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.

Thumbs up

Pope de Flash,

I did not even think about that . I had just avoided the invisible button because I have had trouble with them once or twice in the past.. but in this case they should work very well. And as you say, they would be much easier on the CPU..

So I just wanted to thank you for bringing that to my attention. I'm going to make that change to my site

you guys are great! thanks for the info... i have another question but i'll start a new topic!

chundle