A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Recording in flash???

Cool

Hello,

Anyone knows a way to make a live recorder in flash.

What i want to do is ex: create a mini piano with 5 notes, when you click on the keys, it plays the sounds assigned to the keys. this part is easy.

the tough part. I want to create a ''REC'' button that you press and that will record the music played when clicking on the keys.

does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to do that.

Thankz

Kris

you might be able to pull it off by creating some action script that progressivly 'records' the order in wich the piano keys are clicked.

something like using the piano keys to set a variable called 'note', but you've also got a script working that changes the variable name incrementaly by '1' every time the variable is set. so you would wind up with

note1
    note2
    note3
    note4
    etc...

then for playback, you simpley tell the movie to play back the 'note' variables incrementaly until there are no more.

recrding note duration and rythm - you got me.

you may want to pitch this question in an action script forum to get more detailed programming advice.

Hope this helps!

Chris
    http://www.sharpstickstudios.com

Stick In The Mud
    i'd suggest the same.....
    have an eventarray, which gets updated when you press a button... you could also use getTimer() so that it's in time. then have a function which parses the array for playback.

hmmmm, that gives me an idea.....

Wink

i guess this is the only way it can be done with using just flash. i agree with what is suggested.

i would say have a seperate set of variables for each key. that way there would be on, and off assingments like in midi. to keep time, u could code it to match the system clock. write a little function that estimates bpm as user press related to system clock in seconds. then set up some arrays as virtual sequencer channels. each slot in the array would represent a beat and would hold on/off data for each key. each key would have it's own array channel. each beat/slot in the channel array would be directly related to a specific time, so that when u playback it sets off the channel array values according to the bpm.

hope this makes sense, i can imagine it working

i'm tryin to work with java code now which may be able to support much more audio functions while using flash as the interface. at the moment i'm tryin to figure out exactly how i will link the two though.

This was JUST the advice I was looking for!! I've been thinking about the topic for a while now, and never had an idea of how to solve it... Now I do... thanks everyone..

ive seen open source flas on this before. a more complicated issue is if you plan to save the recording and post it on the server or even email it to your friends. anyway, what you do is run a really long empty movie clip that on every frame sets variables of the bolean values for all the different buttons that the user could be clicking on.

where have you seen these open source movies?!

This was done ages ago. Email me and I'll dig the .fla out

Post Did anyone made it?

Hi everyone,

Wondering how the progress like for this recording thingy?

it would be nice if you guys and gals out can provide a source code. ^_*

regards,
    nigilchua