dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Just question regarding this picture....

Just question regarding this picture....

Hi..
    Some days ago I downloaded this picture from the net.
    And I'm trying to apply this sort of design on some of my pictures, but with no success.
    So I was wondering.. Is there any easier way for applying this type of design (you can see that "geometric" objects all over picture) on my pictures or HOW IS THAT DONE??
    Deleting? Drawing boxes and lines????

Please help...

Filip
    Attached Images Attached Images

do your own dont copy theirs
    No one will ever know how much you try, exept your self.. so suprize them.

I wouldn't say there is any 'easy way' to apply this type design to your pictures. Meaning there isn't a filter or plugin that will just automatically do it for you. It's not that hard to do, though. What's hard is that you don't use that part of your brain that just copies what someone else has done, but rather you have to use the part that analyzes the design and picks out elements that contribute to the style.

Do a little research...poke around and look at as many grunge style images as you can. Take the time to pick the images apart and separate out the individual elements that come together to form the whole.

I'm being serious here, about using a different part of your brain. I want you to do something...when you are looking at these images, don't just literally gaze at them. Turn your focus inward and take notice of what part of your brain you are using when you apply your thinking in different ways.

First, look at the image (let's use the image you attached as an example) and think about how you would simply transfer certain elements over onto your picture. You might think "Ok, I've got some boxes, a faded and scratched up picture, some black and red text, some dirty black crap spread around here and there, and a solid color border with some wierd shapes cut out of it. Hmm, let's see how I can add some boxes, some black and red text, etc. to my image...".

While you are doing this examine where your thoughts are coming from. Go back and think about the image in the manner I mentioned above as many times as you need to in order to get a feel for it, always searching for the origin of your thoughts. This can be a little tricky if you've never done this before, but I assure you that you have all the right equipment for the job. It's kind of like multi-tasking on the computer. Get your main thought process going then attach an additional little hitchhiker program/thought process that tracks what your other thought process is doing. Personally, when I do this my thoughts are coming pretty strongly from the front left portion of my brain.

Ok, now I want you to switch gears a little bit. First let me say that this next method works best when you have a good 'mental library' to work from. This is where you are pulling knowledge from a multitude of sources and integrating it in a new and meaningful fashion. So for this step ideally you would already have done the aforementioned research on grunge style art and had at your disposal the memory of many different applications of this style. For the purposes of this exercise we will simply use the single image as an example, though.

Look again at the image, but this time think about how this same type of treatment could be applied to another image without actually copying the individual elements or transferring design cues by rote. Open up the mental flow a little bit to allow your own creativity to express itself. Think about how you might do similar things, but consider how you would use this style to convey your message, not just to make it look cool. 'Grunge' has many faces, though all can be easily identified as belonging in the same family. Don't think about how you can copy what someone else has done, but rather strive to determine what makes the grunge style what it is and then make it your own.

You will find that this type of thinking comes from an entirely different part of your brain. For me, things take a decided shift over to the right side of my brain and more of it starts getting used than when I was thinking with the other side. And yes, it's like a muscle, the more you use it the stronger it will get.

Now go forth and create something grungy.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

well said RUSHVISION
    No one will ever know how much you try, exept your self.. so suprize them.

You're one articulate mo fo!!

I am most interested to see what FGUDELJ comes up with after that

Heheh...thanks, guys. I'd like to see what he comes with too.

fgudelj ~

After all that I neglected to give you a little more practical advice. One thing I was going to mention is that you should get yourself a good supply of grunge brushes for Photoshop. A google search for 'grunge brushes' will yield quite a few results. You'll pick up hits for both brushes and grunge brush tutorials.

Once you have some brushes to work with start experimenting with them. I have a tendency to use several different brushes on separate layers to build up the grunge effect. Depending on what I'm doing this may be 3 layers/brushes or it may be 20.

There are many ways to use these brushes. Most of the tools allow you to change the brush. So you can lay down the initial color and form of the grunge with a paint brush at full opacity then maybe go back and erase parts of it using a different brush. Or you can set up a grunge brush with your Dodge or Burn Tool and apply some grunge to a photo or other graphic element that way.

This is the part where you apply your own creative spin. The brushes are a fixed shape, but it's up to you to determine exactly how you use them. And you can manipulate them many ways using the various brush configuration options. PS7 made some great leaps with it's brush engine. It's flat out amazing what you can do now. Perhaps what you will be doing most with the grunge brushes though, is to either rotate or resize them. You can rotate it under the Brush Tip Shape options and while you can also resize it in the same place, it's easier to use the [ ] keys to make the brush smaller or bigger without going into the brush options.

I also do a lot of manipulating of the blending modes of many of the layers. Just changing the blending mode (Overlay, Multiply, Difference, Luminosity, etc.) can have a huge effect on the contents of a layer and can be essential for tying together various elements in your image.

The single most helpful thing you can do for yourself though, is to practice, practice, practice. Just get in there and play around with trying out different things. Before long you'll be pumping out the grunge with the best of them!
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

Serve Cold - Keep On Ice Mr. Tackle's Avatar
    Well Ill be a monkeys uncle, you CAN rotate brushes, dayum that helps!

Thanks!