dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Business Card

Hybrid View

Business Card

This is a business card i've made for myself. Also first time doing this so let me know what you guys think. Getting 2500 printed of these soon.

Hi the design of of it looks ok, are you printing it with spot colours or is it a full colour job ?

bp

I think it looks pretty good.. 'certainly will do the trick for marketting to people who aren't that great with computers. They'll find it modern, contemporary, techy, etc... bravo.

Hi the design of of it looks ok, are you printing it with spot colours or is it a full colour job ?
    I could have went all out and done a much graphic-wise job but i wanted to go for a clean, refreshing professional style. It's going to be full color.

Hi, its worth getting a test sheet done if you are having it printed digitally, I did some flyers years ago and they had a subtle tint fading out, when printed they came out much lighter than i had intended.

It might be worth doing a test sheet with 4 or 5 tinted versions before they run 2500, if it digitally printed they can run a single sheet just to check the colours

let us know how they turn out

bp

Firefuze, why would you want to print it in 4 colour (full color) when you're only using 2 different blues?

You get much more consistent results if you print it 2 colour, plus you'll notice a reduction in printing cost.

I'd still get some type of proof from the printer, as Black_phoenix said, since you are using a gradient and some very light, subtle screens in there. Also remember that these screens and gradients may not reproduce as well on certain paper stocks, especially your more porus uncoated and specialty papers.

Even if you use a serif font, use something that looks nicer than the current one you're using, that's my only recommendation. For a few really really slick example of biz cards, check out these sites:
    http://www.socialuk.com/work.php?id=3
    http://www.celsiusdesign.net
    Illustrations, animations, games, and interactions on the web as you've never seen.
    SKYCASTLE STUDIOS

I'm a POTato Head! The Whyte MaN's Avatar
    Originally posted by clicky2
    Firefuze, why would you want to print it in 4 colour (full color) when you're only using 2 different blues?

You get much more consistent results if you print it 2 colour, plus you'll notice a reduction in printing cost.

I am guessing there is more than just cyan in the colors he chose. There is probably a hint red and yellow in there as well. You would not get the same color by printing with just cyan.
    I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct.

I'm a POTato Head! The Whyte MaN's Avatar
    By the way clicky2, I dig your splash page. Pretty nice.

peace.
    I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct.

Originally posted by The Whyte MaN
    By the way clicky2, I dig your splash page. Pretty nice.
    Thanks!

Keep you're eyes peeled for the launch in a few months. I'll probably float it around here for some critique as I'm working on it as well.

I am guessing there is more than just cyan in the colors he chose. There is probably a hint red and yellow in there as well. You would not get the same color by printing with just cyan.
    I wasn't really taling about cyan ... more like spot colors. There are thousands of colors to choose from, and often times it's cheaper than printing in four color process. For instance he could go with two Pantone blues of a slightly different hue or saturation to accomplish what he has done. You can even mix the two creating a duatone ... which can give you some interesting effects as well.

Hope that clarifies it a bit more.

Thanks,

the clickster

Firefuze - is the file that contains this image going to the printer as an Illustrator file? If so, you might want to consider creating your BackGround gradient in Photoshop - then import that image into Illustrator. This will eliminate the possibility of "banding" - commonly occurs with the printing of vectorized gradients.
    Last edited by hothousegraphix; 04-30-2004 at 03:39 PM.

I didn't know about spot colors before i went ahead and ordered them to be printed, though i didn't use that many colors, theres 2 gradients in the card, which i probobly wouldn't have if i printed using spot colors right?

The paper is 12pt UV coated. The card was made in Photoshop and when i printed it off my own printer, (canon i950) which is pretty, the card turned out perfect, there was no banding on the gradient. Though im not sure how it will look when they are printed at the printing place, im sure if it looks bad they would have let me known, plus im getting it done through a friend and he'll personally inspect them.

nah ... you can do gradients with spot colors.

For instance you can produce a gradient from one spot color to the next ... like a darker blue to a light blue of a slightly different hue. Or you can go from a single blue to white, or even a screened version of that same blue color. Of course a lot of this is much easier to accomplish using a vector based program like Illustrator or Freehand.

I just bet I could almost reproduce your card in a single spot color ... which would cut down the printing cost considerably. Of course it also depends on the printing method being used. But on a standard offset press, running at least 150 line screen, I could probably get it close enough that you could barely tell the difference.

I'm also surprised that they would print any 4 color job w/out sending you a color proof to sign off on.

Anyway, let me know how they come out.

actually I might have to use two colors due to the subtle black gradient in the card border ... at least I think I see one. My eyes are know to play tricks on me from time to time though.