A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Chat rooms plz help

Question Chat rooms plz help

I know it's really complicated to do this. but please I know someone on this site has to know. but how do you make a chat room in flash. I'm hoping someone knows and doesn't just redirect me to another site plz.

Bump

I'd like to figure this out too...

I was thinking of a way it could work:

Maybe have a dynamic text box that continually updates from some type of form. whenever someone types something in an input text box and hits enter, flash would send the text and add it to the form, and since the dynamic text box continually updates, it would instantly show up for everyone... then the form would auto clear maybe every day, or sooner, to keep it from getting too large...

I think XML is used for forms but I don't know how to do it or if that's even possible, so if it is please tell us!
    Ironclaw's movies r0x0rz all the oth3rz!! Anyone who says otherwise
    should be repeatedly poked wth sharp pointy sticks <http://ironclaw.cjb.net>

Talking

hey if you think about it that will work and people who enter the chat will beable to get up to speed because the past chat will be visible for them to see. but I don't know anything about XML so if anyone out there knows please tell us we'd love to know

I found a script command called:

LoadVars.sendAndLoad

Definition flash gives:

Method; posts variables in the myLoadVars object to the specified URL. The server response is downloaded, parsed as variable data, and the resulting variables are placed in the targetObject object.

Variables are posted in the same manner as LoadVars.send. Variables are downloaded into targetObject in the same manner as LoadVars.load.

This method is similar to the XML.sendAndLoad method of the XML object.

This seems like it would work, it sends a variable to an url, and gets the response.

Now you would have to set up the 'url' to recieve the variable (the new typed chat), add it to a text file (the current chat), and send the text back to flash...

And... I don't know how to do that. Rats

I'll keep looking...
    Ironclaw's movies r0x0rz all the oth3rz!! Anyone who says otherwise
    should be repeatedly poked wth sharp pointy sticks <http://ironclaw.cjb.net>

yeah of course you'd used the load and send actions well I'm going to be working on figuring out the xml part of it I'm currently hooked up with a few web developers that may know I'll let you know if I find anything out.