A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: create subscript in Illustrator

create subscript in Illustrator

I need help, i am using illustrator 10 and i am having a hard time creating subscript in illustrator, i don't see any subscript option, maybe i don't see it. i thought of useing all the text to size 8 and when i want subscript i just reduce the size to 6, but i know this isn't the correct way to do it. any other way to create subscripts?

Hi, i'm only up to version 8 but try this at the top menu look in the text section, there should be one called 'character' also try 'ctrl + T' or apple + T (on a mac) this should launch a small floating window looking something like the attatched screen shot

let me know if this solves it (as you can see from my image you can select the size from the drop down menu, or you can type in what you want eg 5.86, just click in the box and change the numbers

bp

re: subscript in illustrator10

i just recently checked with my teacher and he told me that in illustrator 10 you can't do the following:

It won't automatically make text boxes fit text.
    It changes graphic boxes into text box with a miss click of the text tool.
    You have to switch tools to edit paths.
    No tab leaders.
    No below line spacing.
    No subscript or superscript.
    No underline.
    No right hand margins in the tab ruler.

In illustrator CS they have fixed this problems. the only way to do subscript in 10 is to just reduce the size of the text and move the baseline(moves text up and down).

Hi with the greatest of respect to your your teacher but thats utter rubbish, in version 8 (not 10) you can fit text to a text box, and shift all text to either left or right (see screen shot) you dont even need to indent text all you need to do is move the text box either left or right....

anyway i dont have time to cover all the points mentioned but all but the underline and subscript or superscript are wrong (whats subscript or superscript anyway?)

I should get a job teaching

bp

see attachment for example for subscript. i saved the file to illustrator 8
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by happy20003; 04-28-2004 at 11:44 PM.